How high off the ground should a mounted 85 inch tv be?

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
Or should i say recommend.

Im seeing it should be 20 inches off the floor to bottom tv, but that looks hella low, plus my cielings are like 10 feet.

Anyone mount there 85 inch tve 20 inches from the floor and it look ok?

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Or should i say recommend.

Im seeing it should be 20 inches off the floor to bottom tv, but that looks hella low, plus my cielings are like 10 feet.

Anyone mount there 85 inch tve 20 inches from the floor and it look ok?
20 inches? So basically if anyone is sitting behind people watching TV they will have an obstructed view.

I have an 85in in my family room which is right next to my kitchen. I placed mine in a position to where people sitting on my sectional can view it without blocking anyone's line of sight if they're watching from the kitchen.

I just got my measuring stick for you...I mounted it about 40in from the floor, and it's about 14in above the TV stand and 14in from the ceiling give or take.

20in from the floor seems too low. My TV stand comes up to 26in.

Reference pic...
Screenshot_20220828-211751.png

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
20 inches? So basically if anyone is sitting behind people watching TV they will have an obstructed view.

I have an 85in in my family room which is right next to my kitchen. I placed mine in a position to where people sitting on my sectional can view it without blocking anyone's line of sight if they're watching from the kitchen.

I just got my measuring stick for you...I mounted it about 40in from the floor, and it's about 14in above the TV stand and 14in from the ceiling give or take.

20in from the floor seems too low. My TV stand comes up to 26in.

Reference pic...
View attachment 32804
It does seem low and u make a good point about if people sitting on the couch can block the view of the tv, my living room is a open space, kitchen table to island stools are in visual sight of the tv.

idk if u ever researched about mounting tvs but it basically says that the view of you sitting should be at the center of the tv screen.

How to Mark Optimal Height of a TV on a Wall​

Once you know the height that you'd like to mount the TV on the wall, you'll need to mark this on the wall.

Use the standard 42-inch center height recommendation and measure upward from the floor to the bottom edge of the TV screen.

Screen Class (Diagonal) Screen HeightDistance: Floor to Bottom of Screen
43-inch22 inches31 inches
50-inch25-1/2 inches29 inches
60-inch29-1/2 inches27 inches
75-inch37 inches22 inches
85-inch42 inches20 inches

RNS

My Own Lane
Supporter
Daps
I have mine right at 18 inches from the floor.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
It does seem low and u make a good point about if people sitting on the couch can block the view of the tv, my living room is a open space, kitchen table to island stools are in visual sight of the tv.

idk if u ever researched about mounting tvs but it basically says that the view of you sitting should be at the center of the tv screen.

How to Mark Optimal Height of a TV on a Wall​

Once you know the height that you'd like to mount the TV on the wall, you'll need to mark this on the wall.

Use the standard 42-inch center height recommendation and measure upward from the floor to the bottom edge of the TV screen.

Screen Class (Diagonal)Screen HeightDistance: Floor to Bottom of Screen
43-inch22 inches31 inches
50-inch25-1/2 inches29 inches
60-inch29-1/2 inches27 inches
75-inch37 inches22 inches
85-inch42 inches20 inches
If I wasn't worried about people being able to see the screen from the next room over (the kitchen in my case) I can see the reasoning for that height.

It would be really immersive for folks sitting directly in front of the TV.

Another thing to consider is the center channel speaker if you have a sound system. At 20in from the floor, if you have a TV stand the center channel is going to be obstructing the bottom middle of the picture, unless you mount the speaker above the TV.

For me and the space I'm in, that 20in recommendation definitely would not work.

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
My 85" is 20 inches from the floor, staring at the center of the screen in the seats.