How heavy use of social media is linked to mental illness

morris

Superstar
Daps
Youngsters report problems with anxiety, depression, sleep and “FoMO”

20180519_WOC855.png

MAY 20th will mark the end of “mental-health awareness week”, a campaign run by the Mental Health Foundation, a British charity. Roughly a quarter of British adults have been diagnosed at some point with a psychiatric disorder, costing the economy an estimated 4.5% of GDP per year. Such illnesses have many causes, but a growing body of research demonstrates that in young people they are linked with heavy consumption of social media.

According to a survey in 2017 by the Royal Society for Public Health, Britons aged 14-24 believe that Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Twitter have detrimental effects on their wellbeing. On average, they reported that these social networks gave them extra scope for self-expression and community-building. But they also said that the platforms exacerbated anxiety and depression, deprived them of sleep, exposed them to bullying and created worries about their body image and “FOMO” (“fear of missing out”). Academic studies have found that these problems tend to be particularly severe among frequent users.

asset-5.jpg

Sean Parker, Facebook’s founding president, has admitted that the product works by “exploiting a vulnerability in human psychology”. Indeed, an experiment by five neuroscientists in 2014 concluded that Facebook triggers the same impulsive part of the brain as gambling and substance abuse. Yet it is difficult to prove that obsessing over likes and comments causes mental illness, rather than the other way around. The most convincing effort was a survey that tracked a group of 5,208 Americans between 2013 and 2015. It found that an increase in Facebook activity was associated with a future decrease in reported mental health.
An obvious solution to the problem is to cut down on screen time. Even the most obsessive users should be able to do so. The neuroscientific study on Facebook found that the subjects’ cognitive ability to inhibit their impulsive behaviour was less impaired than for drug or gambling addicts. And data from Moment, an activity-tracking app, show that it is possible for light social-media consumers to be content. Each week it asks its 1m users whether they are happy or sad with the amount of time they have spent on various platforms. Nearly 63% of Instagram users report being miserable, a higher share than for any other social network. They spend an average of nearly an hour per day on the app. The 37% who are happy spend on average just over half as long.

The happiness rate is much higher for FaceTime (91%), a video-calling app, and phone calls (84%). When it comes to social networking, actual conversations are hard to beat.

HopeKillCure

Banned
Daps
Reppin
On a queue
I hate the internet now. I try to stay off forums and social media. It is a hotbed of deranged and bigoted sociopaths. The saddest part is that internet forums like 4chinchin and other garbage are starting to seep into day to day life. You can't escape stupid meme culture offline or corny reddit banter anywhere

Redguard

Hoonding
Daps
Reppin
Hammerfell
instagram just makes me horny tbh with all the feet profiles i observe from time to time

only time i've been depressed was when i didnt have money , but now the coli pays me every month with these residual payments

That's practically all I look at on Instagram :russ:

Although I feel most women are just making feet profiles to hustle guys with foot fetishes.

Last edited:

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
Yes.

Social Media is a huge mistake

I actually think MySpace was about perfect cause you didn't use your slave name. Sorta like here.

But somehow having everyone know EXACTLY who you really are breeds some funky blowback at times. If you think you need to somehow be winning this game, way most players are losing the game. You'll never have more likes and followers than the next user. They will always have fresher gear, more whips. Very few can actually open up their whole lives and feel like they are ahead of everyone else in some way. The rest of us just observe the few. Some become the few for a while but alot of them find some fresh doom online eventually.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
Imntry out blocksite, a website blocking app for mobile.

I'd throw in message boards in that mix and yes after a while you get sucked in.

Bumblebreh

Collecting honey and money
Daps
Social media has made sex so cheap and accessible.Now everyone is either an aspiring millionaire or a model.
People cannot even walk five minutes without checking their phones.
People are even scared to post a natural pic without facial reconstructive filters.We have a generation of men who are turning into sexually frustrated lames who are infatuated with women that would laugh or be repulsed at these same lame dudes.
Fam looking at baddies on ig when you are regular dude is depressing.Why do you people post their locations in their pictures?
You have teenagers wearing red bottoms to prom and posting that shyt on ig.

Hawaiian Punch

umop-apisdn
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The I in Team
I remember a running joke on forums back in the day was the Internet is not real. It’s real now and it completely dominates all of our lives. It’s nothing but people looking for dopamine hits from likes or daps. Myself included.

I do agree that Facebook and Instagram just completely fukked up the world. It has altered people psychologically and enhanced the shallow nature of society. It’s sickening watching kids grow up in this environment.