How do you deal with self centered people?

Oceanicpuppy

Superstar
Daps
At the job, family friends etc...

All they talk about and think about is themselves....

They don't listen when you try to help or say things.

Oceanicpuppy

Superstar
Daps
Especially when people ask for your opinions or advice but shut them down as soon as you tell them.

Like why the hell would you ask in the first place?

Daps
Self centred people I find are usually very attention seeking aswell. It's exhausting dealing with them. I used to give them the time of day but now I just cut them off. Simplest way.

If it's a friend honestly I would distance myself, if it's a family member I would keep interactions to a minimum.

This might sound harsh but usually they'll just drain you. One option could be to have a heart to heart and see if things change.

BrokePhiBroke

Superstar
Daps
I don't.

If they ask for advice and they don't listen then they come back for advice...I'll listen but I won't give them advice.

I try not to cut family off for being self centered but I wont have much dealings with them.

Oceanicpuppy

Superstar
Daps
Self centred people I find are usually very attention seeking aswell. It's exhausting dealing with them. I used to give them the time of day but now I just cut them off. Simplest way.

If it's a friend honestly I would distance myself, if it's a family member I would keep interactions to a minimum.

This might sound harsh but usually they'll just drain you. One option could be to have a heart to heart and see if things change.
I've already told them they were self centered. They claim to work on it but literally to do nothing about it. It's frustrating at this point.

I just start to ignore them and do my own thing. They are so self absorbed they don't really noticed anyway.

It's when they don't have anything to do or need attention that they feel like talking.

Daps
I've already told them they were self centered. They claim to work on it but literally to do nothing about it. It's frustrating at this point.

I just start to ignore them and do my own thing. They are so self absorbed they don't really noticed anyway.

It's when they don't have anything to do or need attention that they feel like talking.
I understand, I had a close friend exactly like that. The only thing I would advise is maybe to keep conversation minimum, short answers etc. Self centred people feed off the attention on them,

like with my ex close friend she would come with a dilemma, we would discuss it endlessly, talk about different solutions, reach an agreement, and then she'd somehow bring it back to square one. So in the end I just wouldn't engage. Don't know if that helps

EARFQUAKE

🥰
Supporter
Daps
Never met anyone where all they talked about was themselves but I knew a girl where all she talked about was her son.

You could be talking about alcohol and she'd somehow managed to bring him up in the conversation. Always.

Yinny

I miss LLC Twitter
Daps
Reppin
Shangri-La
You don't. A lot of people don't actually want advice, they just
1) want to hear themselves speak or
2) want you to care about shyt that is barely worth discussing or you've already provided solutions. Remember, you probably aren't the only one they've brought this stuff to.

Dwolf

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Murim
Short simple answers. That makes them think you dont want to talk and will eventually leave you alone

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
I offer them love and forgiveness. If I can't do that then I avoid them and should try to look deeper within myself as to why I can't make peace with whatever judgment I'm passing.