How do you build up stamina?

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Personally, I've never really had weight issues so it's not that I'm particularly carrying that much weight around (I'm probably 165ish) but I've always had terrible stamina and endurance, even hooping as a kid I tired out pretty fast. Pretty embarrassing when you tire out before your friend who weighs 100lbs more than you.
I have no issue walking for long distances, but let me try to run a mile and I'm :dead:

Any secrets in terms of diet/nutrition/technique or whatever for building up stamina? Or is it just a pure matter of running a lot?

semtex

:)
Daps
Choose an exercise and a time bucket to start with. Increase that time a bit every two weeks.

jerniebert

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, Ca
Start with breathing exercises. Most of this can be controlled with a focus on breath. If you're running out of stamina it's because you are tensing up and not breathing properly. Eventually you'll just burn out, but if you focus on your breathing and pushing from the core you'll get more endurance.

Claudex

Lord have mercy!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Motherland
Personally, I've never really had weight issues so it's not that I'm particularly carrying that much weight around (I'm probably 165ish) but I've always had terrible stamina and endurance, even hooping as a kid I tired out pretty fast. Pretty embarrassing when you tire out before your friend who weighs 100lbs more than you.
I have no issue walking for long distances, but let me try to run a mile and I'm :dead:

Any secrets in terms of diet/nutrition/technique or whatever for building up stamina? Or is it just a pure matter of running a lot?

Jogging will get your stamina up just fine, provided you also pay attention to your breathing. When you're exerting yourself your body needs a lot of oxygen but in order for that to happen you need to consciously breathe at a regular pace.

There are two obstacles to any person who jogs:

1. Pain that starts getting more intense at the hips as you run, after a while it gradually increases to feeling like your hips are on fire, and then if you keep pushing forward you feel like your legs are now moving on their own, and you just gotta adjust a little every time they drag (since they start to feel heavy around that time). This is muscle fatigue.

2. Pain that hits you right in the lungs, it feels like you've got a needle or something poking your lungs and every time you inhale there's a stabbing pain. It gradually hurts more the more you push yourself. To the point it'll disrupt your flow and you just stop running. But even as you stop running you still feel the needle hitting your lungs. So you breathe carefully. These are your lungs telling you they can't keep up.

Just as boxers have to exhale at every punch, a jogger must control his breathing so as to not tire out too fast. Here's how you do it:

1. At a count of four you breathe in (inhale)
2. At another count of four you breathe out (exhale)

In your heard you're counting 1-2-3-4 (like a metronome), all while you're sucking in as much oxygen as you can through your nose. Then another 1-2-3-4 and you're expelling that carbon dioxide through your mouth. It'll be hard to do at first because by 1-2 you'll either have inhaled everything you could or exhaled all you had in your lungs, but keep practicing until you can breathe in and out at the exact count. Very often you'll have to hold the breath in until it's time to exhale.

If you start to feel like the stabbing pain is threatening to come again while you're doing this exercise, just count at a faster pace and inhale and exhale harder. I will warn you that people will stare at you and be startled if you sneak up on them while doing this so avoid running in areas with too many cacs or just overall people not doing exercises. Because they will think you're on something.

Eventually with time you'll find that you can take it easier on the breathing and will still be able to sprint after a 3 miles run.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bonus advice:

If you listen to music this is the perfect time to listen to hip-hop.

1 bar for inhaling and 1 bar for exhaling. There are four beats per bar so you get the point I'm sure.
Not all rappers are good for matching your breathing with though, would not recommend listening to a K.dot record while you're trying to improve your breathing. :francis:

Free Smoke - Drake
Doing Something - Skyzoo
After thoughts - Odisee (ride the beat with your breathing breh)
S on ya Chest - Injury Reserve (watch out so as to not get too hype by at end of the track)
Blowing Smoke - Bryson Tiller
Long Way - Joyner Lucas (count is a little faster here tho' but it's doable)
Purple Lamborghini - Skrillex ft. Rick Ross (hold the breath in and exhale at the count)
Oh My - Boogie (count is slower here, so regulate your breathing to follow the bars)

Good luck getting your stamina up breh :salute:

Thierry Henry

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Emirates Stadium
High intensity interval training helps out with conditioning. Conventional slow jogging around a track or on the treadmill won't work at all breh.

Find a park with bleachers and run the stairs. So for example, if a bleacher has 4 stairs, start on one end and make your way across the stands exploding up thru every step of the stairs. Once you come down that first stair, you have to jog to the next set, can't walk at all. Once you finish going up and down that last stair, make your way back to the first stair you ran and start all over. Do that 3 times without stopping, you will have ran the stairs 12 times. I guarantee you will be exhausted, but that's only counts as 1 set. Do this exercise for 3 sets, 12 reps each with 1-2 minutes rest in between, two or three times a week is enough.

Also if the park has an American football field that has all the yard measurements on it, run sprints. Start out easy, do 3 reps of 20, 30, and 40 yds each for a total of 9 sprints. As your conditioning/stamina get better, challenge yourself and increase the reps and distance in yards. I usually do these sprints with a resistance parachute, you can cop one at dikk's sporting goods for like $25.

DonKnock

KPJ Gonna Save Us
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Jogging will get your stamina up just fine, provided you also pay attention to your breathing. When you're exerting yourself your body needs a lot of oxygen but in order for that to happen you need to consciously breathe at a regular pace.

There are two obstacles to any person who jogs:

1. Pain that starts getting more intense at the hips as you run, after a while it gradually increases to feeling like your hips are on fire, and then if you keep pushing forward you feel like your legs are now moving on their own, and you just gotta adjust a little every time they drag (since they start to feel heavy around that time). This is muscle fatigue.

2. Pain that hits you right in the lungs, it feels like you've got a needle or something poking your lungs and every time you inhale there's a stabbing pain. It gradually hurts more the more you push yourself. To the point it'll disrupt your flow and you just stop running. But even as you stop running you still feel the needle hitting your lungs. So you breathe carefully. These are your lungs telling you they can't keep up.

Just as boxers have to exhale at every punch, a jogger must control his breathing so as to not tire out too fast. Here's how you do it:

1. At a count of four you breathe in (inhale)
2. At another count of four you breathe out (exhale)

In your heard you're counting 1-2-3-4 (like a metronome), all while you're sucking in as much oxygen as you can through your nose. Then another 1-2-3-4 and you're expelling that carbon dioxide through your mouth. It'll be hard to do at first because by 1-2 you'll either have inhaled everything you could or exhaled all you had in your lungs, but keep practicing until you can breathe in and out at the exact count. Very often you'll have to hold the breath in until it's time to exhale.

If you start to feel like the stabbing pain is threatening to come again while you're doing this exercise, just count at a faster pace and inhale and exhale harder. I will warn you that people will stare at you and be startled if you sneak up on them while doing this so avoid running in areas with too many cacs or just overall people not doing exercises. Because they will think you're on something.

Eventually with time you'll find that you can take it easier on the breathing and will still be able to sprint after a 3 miles run.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bonus advice:

If you listen to music this is the perfect time to listen to hip-hop.

1 bar for inhaling and 1 bar for exhaling. There are four beats per bar so you get the point I'm sure.
Not all rappers are good for matching your breathing with though, would not recommend listening to a K.dot record while you're trying to improve your breathing. :francis:

Free Smoke - Drake
Doing Something - Skyzoo
After thoughts - Odisee (ride the beat with your breathing breh)
S on ya Chest - Injury Reserve (watch out so as to not get too hype by at end of the track)
Blowing Smoke - Bryson Tiller
Long Way - Joyner Lucas (count is a little faster here tho' but it's doable)
Purple Lamborghini - Skrillex ft. Rick Ross (hold the breath in and exhale at the count)
Oh My - Boogie (count is slower here, so regulate your breathing to follow the bars)

Good luck getting your stamina up breh :salute:

I'm not sure how this process goes from being a complete beginner, but I was always coached that you breathe in through the nose when your left foot hits the ground and breathe out through the mouth the next time your left foot hits the ground. This prevents diaphragm related cramping because your diaphragm sits in that side of the body:manny:

DonKnock

KPJ Gonna Save Us
Daps
Reppin
Houston
@acri1 Another possible cause could be muscle tension. make sure you're warming up properly and doing some dynamic stretching before.

Adding some light yoga post workout will really help with muscle tension and breathing control as well.

There's a great 5 minute routine in here:
DonKnock's Don't Doubt Yoga Thread

Claudex

Lord have mercy!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Motherland
I'm not sure how this process goes from being a complete beginner, but I was always coached that you breathe in through the nose when your left foot hits the ground and breathe out through the mouth the next time your left foot hits the ground. This prevents diaphragm related cramping because your diaphragm sits in that side of the body:manny:

Given that the diaphragm has a left and a right side I'm not sure how that works. :jbhmm:

diaphragm-spasm.jpg

On the other hand there are such a thing as diaphragm spasm, so maybe you're onto something. I honestly had no idea. :ohhh:

DonKnock

KPJ Gonna Save Us
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Given that the diaphragm has a left and a right side I'm not sure how that works. :jbhmm:

diaphragm-spasm.jpg

On the other hand there are such a thing as diaphragm spasm, so maybe you're onto something. I honestly had no idea. :ohhh:

Shoulda known there was a degree of bro science involved in that explanation.:pachaha:

That's how it was always explained to me tho. I used to have issues with ab cramping back in junior high, then my HS coaches taught me the left foot method and it never happened again:yeshrug: