How do I get rid of screen-tearing on my PC

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
GTX 1070, Adaptive V Sync on in Nvidia Control Panel, and in-game as well. Happening in multiple games where it didn't before (Witcher 3, MGS V, Fallout 4)

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
It's usually a vsync issue, like others said.

That being said there's also certain games that run like shyt and no matter what that may tear anyway regardless of how nice your computer is.

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's usually a vsync issue, like others said.

That being said there's also certain games that run like shyt and no matter what that may tear anyway regardless of how nice your computer is.

It's more of a rendering issue than a game-by-game. If the current frames aren't a clean multiple of your monitor's refresh rate, you gonna get tearing. You either use vsync, lock your frames to your monitor refresh rate, or invest in adaptive sync, I believe.

@Ciggavelli learn us

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
Turn off adaptive v-sync. When your framerate drops just below 60(assuming you're on a 60hz screen), it turns off V-sync to minimize input lag but will give you screen tearing.

Get you a Freesync/Gsync monitor and screen tearing becomes a thing of the past.

Cop you a Gsync or Freesync breh :myman:
My monitor supports FreeSync, it's the LG UD58. That doesn't work with Nvidia, tho, correct?

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
My monitor supports FreeSync, it's the LG UD58. That doesn't work with Nvidia, tho, correct?
Nvidia started to support Freesync monitors a while ago. I'm using a freesync monitor now with a 1070.
Make sure it's enabled in the Nvidia Control Panel.
ximg_5c3eac6f3c809.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.P4Eboa2XtC.png

It most likely will work even if it's not officially supported.

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You have to look it up. G-sync was updated to support some FreeSync monitors
Nvidia started to support Freesync monitors a while ago. I'm using a freesync monitor now with a 1070.
Make sure it's enabled in the Nvidia Control Panel.
ximg_5c3eac6f3c809.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.P4Eboa2XtC.png

It most likely will work even if it's not officially supported.

Also check the freesync range. Some of them are fugazi af :russ: if your frames fall outside the freesync range it's useless

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
GTX 1070, Adaptive V Sync on in Nvidia Control Panel, and in-game as well. Happening in multiple games where it didn't before (Witcher 3, MGS V, Fallout 4)

If you have vsync on in the control panel you need to turn it off in game...if you have it on in game you need to turn it off in the control panel...

best bet is to know what is the refresh rate of your monitor...then in nvidia control panel put your refresh rate to 2 frames below that...then turn on v sync in nvidia monitor...then always turn it off for games...