How did the European colonization of Africa take place?

Faneto

Banned
Daps
I dont want the Eurocentric take on things which is why I want to ask the coli as opposed to "googling it"

How did things go down? Did they come in like gangbusters and just kill natives trying to defend there country like Europeans did in Australia? Did they spread illness to the natives like in America? Did they trick the natives like Europeans did in Canada? Was it all of the above?

I'm specifically referring to West Africa but people with knowledge of other regions are welcome to comment as well.

history-of-africa3%201.gif

Yup

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Life
My family is african...the ancestors say. That many came bringing to tribal gifts (ie/alcohol,etc...) and since hospitality is ingrained african culture....exchanges were made ie/ chiefs daughter, precious items, etc... What they didnt understand is that euros didnt share the same cultural peepective. Therefore, believed to be inferior and eady to manipulate. Add to the fact that some tribes were feuding or just not in good terms and yoy have a recipe for disaster.

Faneto

Banned
Daps
My family is african...the ancestors say. That many came bringing to tribal gifts (ie/alcohol,etc...) and since hospitality is ingrained african culture....exchanges were made ie/ chiefs daughter, precious items, etc... What they didnt understand is that euros didnt share the same cultural peepective. Therefore, believed to be inferior and eady to manipulate. Add to the fact that some tribes were feuding or just not in good terms and yoy have a recipe for disaster.
Europeans were believed to be inferior and easy to manipulate?

MaLi

Pro
Daps
Divide and Conquer.
Lies and Deception.

The usual tactics we see them using today:manny:

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium

Also I have a theory: from what I know Africans were not that much on that conquer shyt, and most tribes bargained arrangments between them to live in peace. Of course wars existed, but def not as much as in Europe. Africa is HUGE so land is less fought over there than in Europe. So maybe the initial mindset of local rulers was like : Well, who are these new guys, let's see how we can make business together and co-exist. On the contrary Euros had been fighting wars since forever in Europe so they've always had that mentality. So they easily won.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Industrial Revolution + Machine Gun + Gunboat + Bomber planes nuff said...

Beforehand Africans were able to easily hold their own and beat Europeans. We see this with Malians and coastal island Africans beating the Portuguese. Queen Nzinga holding her own. They were basically even. After that clear domination due to big technological gap. Yet there were still Africans like the Ashanti, Somalis and Samori Toure who were able to last a hell a lot long against industrialized Europeans which is VERY impressive. The Ashanti fought the British in 4-5 wars! And the Somalis fought the British until the British got frustrated and aerial bombarded them. imo the Zulus are overrated, they don't touch the Ashantis.

And of course you have Ethiopians beating the Italians, but to be honest the Italians weren't a real power like the British or French.

And it wasn't just Africa people... Industrialized nations were dominating non-industrialized nations in general. China and the rest of East Asia became Industrialized Imperial Japan's bytch. This was due to China's stubbornness to industrialize.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Also I have a theory: from what I know Africans were not that much on that conquer shyt, and most tribes bargained arrangments between them to live in peace

Songhai Empire?
Mali Empire?
Ethiopian kingdoms/empires?
Somali Ajuraan Empire?
Fulani Jihadist?
Moors?
Mutapa Empire?

There were many Africans on that conquering stuff. The Zulu's iirc outright slaughtered British(or Boers) soliders when the two groups had a meeting. The Malians slaughtered the incoming Portuguese right on sight. Though I do agree that there were some peaceful Africans like the Igbo's of the Nri Kingdom.

Kitsch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
London
Songhai Empire?
Mali Empire?
Ethiopian kingdoms/empires?
Somali Ajuraan Empire?
Fulani Jihadist?
Moors?
Mutapa Empire?

There were many Africans on that conquering stuff. The Zulu's iirc outright slaughtered British(or Boers) soliders when the two groups had a meeting. The Malians slaughtered the incoming Portuguese right on sight. Though I do agree that there were some peaceful Africans like the Igbo's of the Nri Kingdom.

In the context of the transatlantic slave trade.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
since hospitality is ingrained african culture....

This is an excuse.

Also colonization came much after the Atlantic slave trade.

Which is why I don't buy the "they didn't know" and "they were fooled" narratives Africans claim.

You had a few rulers who fought back against slavery but many who didn't care til the tables turned.