How did Aragorn whoop 5 ringwraiths including the Witch King of Angmar solo on Weathertop? And then the Witch King shattered Gandalf’s staff casually?

Lambent55

All Star
Daps
Soft magic system, anything can happen. (literally, there aren't many defined rules in lord of the rings so the author was kind of free to make anything happen) :yeshrug:

Someone more invested in the series probably has a better answer :salute:

Izanami

Superstar
Daps
This inspired me to rewatch the fellowship. Thanks OP

The Wolf Among You

Superstar
Daps
To be fair, The Witch King did what he came to do which is turn Frodo into a wraith(or so he expected). The Nazgûl aren’t used to men squaring up with them head on, and Aragorn was with the shyts, so they dipped. At least that’s how I understood it.

Shaman

Poet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
QC
They thought they'd won the moment Frodo was stabbed, since his wound would have eventually turned him into a wraith. As for Aragorn, the ringwraiths' "chief weapon" is their ability to cause debilitating fear in others; the fact that aragorn was unafraid, ready to fight, and swinging around fire was a level of resistance they were not expecting. Given that it was only a matter of time before Frodo succumbed to his wound, they withdrew thinking they just had to wait it out a bit.

As for the Witch King specifically, Sauron gave him some of his own power in the run up to the siege of minas tirith. So while he was definitely stronger than he was in Fellowship, he was not strong enough to casually break Gandalf's staff. That only happened in the movie and I fukking haaaaate it. In the books, they just have a stand-off until Rohan arrives and interrupts them before they can fight. In truth, Gandalf the White would've fukking washed him and anyone/thing else in middle earth besides Sauron.

Last edited: