How come there are so few black people working at Silicon Valley?

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This weekend I went to see this Asian friend of mine who I went to college with at a Silicon Valley start up he's been working at.They've been operating for about 2 yrs and they just hired him. One thing I noticed at his office was the lack of any black or Hispanic people. It was at least 70% white and the rest Asian/Indian.

I met him again in the evening in a bar where most of the workers in the tech industry meet up and yet again the demographics were the same. Im pretty confident I was the only black dude there.

So what's happening? It's pretty obvious the future economy is increasingly becoming technology related and we can't afford to be left out. Are they racist in their hiring or are we not interested in that sector?

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Quite a bit of it is lack of interest and logistical reasons. With Silicon Valley, its a frat-boys sorta club. To get in, you probably need to know someone.

Everything about Silicon Valley screams "Oh hire him! We went to school together!" or something to that effect. Its a self-sustaining culture for
the most part.

dontreadthis

philly.
Daps
6rhk7m.png

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
This weekend I went to see this Asian friend of mine who I went to college with at a Silicon Valley start up he's been working at.They've been operating for about 2 yrs and they just hired him. One thing I noticed at his office was the lack of any black or Hispanic people. It was at least 70% white and the rest Asian/Indian.

I met him again in the evening in a bar where most of the workers in the tech industry meet up and yet again the demographics were the same. Im pretty confident I was the only black dude there.

So what's happening? It's pretty obvious the future economy is increasingly becoming technology related and we can't afford to be left out. Are they racist in their hiring or are we not interested in that sector?
I'm sure it is an African somewhere. It's not our thing and it is a shame.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA

I've never been to Silicon Valley. I don't know why there aren't more black people in IT compared to other industries. Of all the IT companies I've been to, the lowest percentage of a race was usually black. Sometimes, Asians too. I went to an IT conference last year, there were black people there, but they accounted for like 20%. Mostly white, then Asian, then Hispanic, and then black. I think part of it has to do with how many major in computer science, computer engineering, etc.
I would have to say there are a lot of black teenagers who look at computer science as an intimidating subject, and so in order to succeed in college, they elect to major in something easy, like communications or marketing.

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
Quite a bit of it is lack of interest and logistical reasons. With Silicon Valley, its a frat-boys sorta club. To get in, you probably need to know someone.

Everything about Silicon Valley screams "Oh hire him! We went to school together!" or something to that effect. Its a self-sustaining culture for
the most part.

Not really, you don't need to know anyone. It's all about credentials. In the process of getting those credentials [comp sci degree, internships] you surely will network with people there.

It's simple, there just aren't many black people in STEM. Of course there's plenty of reason for that...

Last edited:

Marvel

Psalm 149:5-9
Daps
Reppin
House of Yasharahla
I got a homeboy that works for the Google. He legit could have been the next Will Smith if he wanted. I'm surprised that they would let a real swagged out Jake to work for that company.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Black and Latino men are rare in many circles of white collar corporate America, period.

The Solo Dolo Negro: Black In Corporate America

I live in Maryland now, but I'm from the Bay. The only reason why the DMV is a mecca for bougie black folks is because the public sector is the largest employer of blacks in America. PG County in the richest black majority county in America because of the federal government jobs and the trickle down effects of that money. But the whole DMV is richer than average as a whole because of the federal government jobs. But blacks are more represented in government jobs because the public sector is required to have "diversity" quotas. DC is one of the only cities where a black person can get a job fresh out of school paying six figures with a degree in African American studies.

Government Job Cuts Threaten Black Middle Class

But the private sector can be a racist as they want in hiring practices without even giving an excuse. This is why a white man who is a convicted felon is just as likely to land a job as a black man with a clean record.

Study: Black man and white felon – same chances for hire

Statistically, most people get jobs through their personal network of family, friends, co-workers, former co-workers, former classmates etc. White people often have access to better jobs through their personal social networks. The average white person's social network is 90% white. No bullshyt. White people surround themselves with whites in every aspect of their life from their social life to their work life so that they feel raceless and "normal" and aren't made to feel bad about their white privilege.

How Friendly White People Drive Black Unemployment

Self-Segregation: Why It's So Hard for Whites to Understand Ferguson

Even though Asians are often employed in IT, there is a bamboo ceiling for Asian American professionals. They never make it the board rooms which are white as KKK meetings. Especially in Silicon Valley.

Asians are kicking ass in Silicon Valley, so why are so few in the boardroom?

And blacks who do make it to corporate America are expected to know the nuances of bland metropolitan white American culture. Blacks in corporate America are expected to get obscure 80's movie references at Halloween parties, know the names of white celebrities and know about white music. Blacks in corporate America carry stereotypes that they are angry, indignant and bitter like Wesley Snipes in Jungle Fever. White people rather not deal with that shyt, so they don't hire brothers. Latinos born into poor immigrant situations are probably rarer in corporate America than black men. Latino males are disproportionately involved in gangs because the jobs available for Latino immigrants are always low paying under the table manual labor jobs.

But being from the Bay Area, I can honestly say that black men have it harder there than other places when it comes to getting a job, period. In the Bay, you are expected to speak Spanish or Chinese to get a job at many places. Blacks are extremely marginalized where I'm from in San Francisco. SF is probably the only major city in America to almost completely displace it's black population entirely. Once they take a wrecking ball to the remaining projects in SF, the only black people left will be the token homos and techies. Oakland has lost half of it's black population in the past 20 years.

But it's not impossible to break into Silicon Valley if you're black, you just need to hobnob with peckerwoods. :mjlol: That was this dude's story:

The Real Story Behind Being Black In Silicon Valley

Drones

Visions of $
Daps
It's because we don't own any of these tech startups. Period. Cacs own shyt so they hire theirs, and quite frankly they're well within their rights to do that. If we want to work in Silicon Valley, we need to build our own startups. We can never beg our way to prosperity, it has to be built with our own hands.

GPBear

The Tape Crusader
Daps
Reppin
Bay-to-PDX
because the government kept computers out of black schools to prevent kids from connecting online at an early age, which could lead to social revolutions.

godkiller

"We are the Fury"
Daps
Reppin
NULL
1. The whites and Asians probably don't have experience in and prefer not to hire blacks.

2. Blacks don't graduate at high enough levels in engineering or math to compete for jobs in Silicon Valley. The majority of Asians and Indians in the USA are preferred by cacs and chosen for educated via the immigration system. Silicon Valley firms look for the smartest Asians they can find in the Asian billion population.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
It's because we don't own any of these tech startups. Period. Cacs own shyt so they hire theirs, and quite frankly they're well within their rights to do that. If we want to work in Silicon Valley, we need to build our own startups. We can never beg our way to prosperity, it has to be built with our own hands.

This. Why are you guys expecting white people to hire your black ass. Get it through your head, they don't wanna hire you as they'd prefer not to see your ass.

Those with the talent and know how (like myself) need to start these companies and hire black people exclusively. There's no other option.