How come hiphop artists are the only ones that drop mixtapes?

nalej

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Seatown
You never hear about a country artist dropping a mixtape. Sometimes an rnb dude will but why only hiphop?

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
are you asking why specifically they don't drop mixtapes or something similar to a mixtape? like a sampler? or something self-produced or something independently released? because artists from different genres do that all the time...

also you have to consider how much easier it is for a rapper to record something versus a band...

nalej

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Seatown
are you asking why specifically they don't drop mixtapes or something similar to a mixtape? like a sampler? or something self-produced or something independently released? because artists from different genres do that all the time...

also you have to consider how much easier it is for a rapper to record something versus a band...

just a mixtape like any hiphop mixtape. you don't see kelly clarkson or john mayer drop anything like that.

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
just a mixtape like any hiphop mixtape. you don't see kelly clarkson or john mayer drop anything like that.

because artist like that rather deal on a different level of production, they're already signed, and they make money off of playing shows and touring. mixtapes are really homegrown, grassroots approach to making money and spreading the word and it's what a lot of hip hop artists do to get put on.

i would say mixtape culture is more part of hip hop culture because it's part of the growing and exposure process for a hip hop artist...

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
I think it's because mixtapes are usually nikkas going in over other peoples beats (it just recently changed) and other genre's are more into making original sounds, so it only makes sense that they would want to get paid for it.

DamonDashsRocAFellaChain

How could a man say he has a boss and be proud?
Daps
Because white people actually buy CDs.

tumblr_lq2fc1GJ0h1qht847.gif

Daps
Because white people actually buy CDs.
all genres of music are suffering from low sales, not just hip hop. Plus white people pirate music movies, everything. Its not just a black thing...smh

because hiphop fans are fickle as shyt and dont really support their favorite artist.

I kinda agree but also consider how EVERYBODY wants to rap. Remember "Im not a rapper, Im a hustler"...that movement was the beginning of the end of artistry in rap.

Dont get me wrong, all genres have aspiring artist but rap has been most affected by "non-rappers" who are really just hustling.

So because there is an oversaturatin of rappers you have to give samplers so that people can trust the product.

Poppa_Dock

:gladlebron:
Daps
Reppin
Banana Town
rock artist do it too they just call it a demo or watever

i could bring u a box of mixtapes from shytty local bands