Home Theater systems for PS5 & XBoxSX

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps
What are yall rocking for a home theater setup? Reciever and speakers? Brands?

I need to get something current system is old and one of the speakers are going out

I heard there was a hold up because some relievers don't support hdmi 2.1 and 4k/120fps

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO

I need to get something current system is old and one of the speakers are going out

I heard there was a hold up because some relievers don't support hdmi 2.1 and 4k/120fps

What that budget looking like?:usure:

Depending on what or how much you trynna spend determines what advice @Gizmo_Duck @Rekkapryde @The Mad Titan or my nephew @Fatboi1 can give you:lupe:

Ain’t no one giving any advice until we have an idea of what’s in your wallet :smugdraper:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven

I have a LG C1 and a Sony 7.1 surround set up.
Your receiver doesn’t have to have support for 2.1 as long as your TV has an HDMI ARC input/output.
That’s how my system is set up. Only the audio goes to the receiver from the tv via ARC. All the video goes directly to the TV itself. That way I can game in 4k hdr 120fps with no issues

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have a LG C1 and a Sony 7.1 surround set up.
Your receiver doesn’t have to have support for 2.1 as long as your TV has an HDMI ARC input/output.
That’s how my system is set up. Only the audio goes to the receiver from the tv via ARC. All the video goes directly to the TV itself. That way I can game in 4k hdr 120fps with no issues

That's a good workaround. I think breh might be looking to go the alternate route of running the components directly to the receiver, and then having the receiver run everything to the TV via HDMI out. Depending on the TV, that might be the best option if 2.1 ports on the TV are limited.

In that case, it's usually a pretty good bet if the inputs and outputs on the receiver have at least 40GBPS bandwidth, you at least have the bandwidth covered.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
That's a good workaround. I think breh might be looking to go the alternate route of running the components directly to the receiver, and then having the receiver run everything to the TV via HDMI out. Depending on the TV, that might be the best option if 2.1 ports on the TV are limited.

In that case, it's usually a pretty good bet if the inputs and outputs on the receiver have at least 40GBPS bandwidth, you at least have the bandwidth covered.
It’s not even a work around. It’s the way HDMI Arc is meant to be used and is better than trying to run audio through optical. With HDMI arc I find no reason at all to send video signal to the receiver. Most modern TVs have ARC on at least one input/output.
With my set up, I get full 7.1 surround and since the TV is set to run audio through ARC, I can control the receiver volume with my TV remote.
i used to think I had to upgrade my receiver but once I got educated on HDMI ARC I realized there was no point at all in upgrading. If anything , spend that money on speakers or better yet, upgrade the tv.
Another thing is, why give the console another piece of equipment to pass through before hitting the TV? Run the signal straight from the console to the TV and let the tv send the audio only to the receiver.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It’s not even a work around. It’s the way HDMI Arc is meant to be used and is better than trying to run audio through optical. With HDMI arc I find no reason at all to send video signal to the receiver. Most modern TVs have ARC on at least one input/output.
With my set up, I get full 7.1 surround and since the TV is set to run audio through ARC, I can control the receiver volume with my TV remote.
i used to think I had to upgrade my receiver but once I got educated on HDMI ARC I realized there was no point at all in upgrading. If anything , spend that money on speakers or better yet, upgrade the tv.
Another thing is, why give the console another piece of equipment to pass through before hitting the TV? Run the signal straight from the console to the TV and let the tv send the audio only to the receiver.

I get how ARC/eARC works, breh. Doesn't change that for some people, they may want to go a different route. If you've got more devices than you do 2.1 ports, running everything through the receiver is usually a better option than getting a switcher. Remember that at this point, the LG range of OLEDs are one of the few TVs that has full 2.1 for all ports. There's a frustrating amount of TVs still getting release with two 2.1 ports, with one of them being the eARC port. And OLED ain't the right pick for everybody.

Also for some people, if they're running an A/V cabinet/stack, running everything to the receiver and then to running that to the TV is ideal for cable management alone.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I get how ARC/eARC works, breh. Doesn't change that for some people, they may want to go a different route. If you've got more devices than you do 2.1 ports, running everything through the receiver is usually a better option than getting a switcher. Remember that at this point, the LG range of OLEDs are one of the few TVs that has full 2.1 for all ports. There's a frustrating amount of TVs still getting release with two 2.1 ports, with one of them being the eARC port. And OLED ain't the right pick for everybody.

Also for some people, if they're running an A/V cabinet/stack, running everything to the receiver and then to running that to the TV is ideal for cable management alone.
I mean…I guess…last I checked, there were only a few receivers with full hdmi 2.1 and they were expensive as hell and were still buggy (IIRC it was $700 - $1,000 for the receiver alone and there were issues with HDR not coming through properly among other issues).
There’s only 2 consoles out that can even output 120hz so the amount of ports shouldn’t be a big deal. Cable management…That’ll depend on the set up. All my hdmi cords go up the center post of my stand. I don’t have any more or any less cables than I would in either set up. I guess my main take away is…for the OP depending on how old your receiver is, you may not NEED a new one. You might be better suited spending that money on a TV.
if I was starting from scratch, I’d still go the HDMI arc route. Makes sense not to spend on a 2.1 receiver if you don’t need to run video to it.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just upgraded to kef r3s for my left/right and kef r2c for my center. Svs pb 2000 for my sub and polk lsim for my surrounds.

My receiver is yamaha but I want to go back t denon once they make new models again.

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps
Checked out best buy all the recievers are sold out bc of the chip shortage. Wtf man am I gonna have to fight bots again

I think my TV only has 2 hdmi 2.1 ports though

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I mean…I guess…last I checked, there were only a few receivers with full hdmi 2.1 and they were expensive as hell and were still buggy (IIRC it was $700 - $1,000 for the receiver alone and there were issues with HDR not coming through properly among other issues).
There’s only 2 consoles out that can even output 120hz so the amount of ports shouldn’t be a big deal. Cable management…That’ll depend on the set up. All my hdmi cords go up the center post of my stand. I don’t have any more or any less cables than I would in either set up. I guess my main take away is…for the OP depending on how old your receiver is, you may not NEED a new one. You might be better suited spending that money on a TV.
if I was starting from scratch, I’d still go the HDMI arc route. Makes sense not to spend on a 2.1 receiver if you don’t need to run video to it.

The port struggle is real, at least for me. :sadcam:

PS5, Chromecast, Series X, and Sonos got me tapped QUICK.

Maddmike

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

This is what I ended up having to do. At first I was confused as hell as why my xbox wasn't running 120

I have
sony str-dh790
Klipsch quintet 5 speaker setup
LG C1

I plan on getting some atmos speakers in 2022

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
This is what I ended up having to do. At first I was confused as hell as why my xbox wasn't running 120

I have
sony str-dh790
Klipsch quintet 5 speaker setup
LG C1

I plan on getting some atmos speakers in 2022
Yeah I think that's the same one I have as well.
I was going to scoop some atomos speakers but then realized there isn't alot of content that supports it.
I guess it's nice to have but not something I would notice all the time. Honestly, I'm surprised at how much content doesn't even take full advantage of 7.1.
I feel like 5.1 is perfect and 7.1 is overkill most of the time. I'm glad I have the flexibility but I would steer a new comer with a budget towards 5.1 for the sake of being practical.

WHolla09

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What that budget looking like?:usure:

Depending on what or how much you trynna spend determines what advice @Gizmo_Duck @Rekkapryde @The Mad Titan or my nephew @Fatboi1 can give you:lupe:

Ain’t no one giving any advice until we have an idea of what’s in your wallet :smugdraper:

Just got a PS5 and looking into upgrading my tv and sound system. Looking into getting a OLED tv. Was going to go LG, but found out Sony does OLED as well. I've always been a Sony guy, but open to going LG. Going for 70-80 inch tv. Looking for a good soundbar with subwoofer. Not trying to do rear speakers as my house isn't really conducive to have rear speakers. TV will be used mostly for movies and gaming. I'm trying to spend no more than $5K total. Any help would be appreciated.