Hideki Kamiya on Scalebound cancellation: “We weren’t experienced enough"

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
All that MS this and that when all along:sas1:

:sas2:

Scalebound was a project we had teamed up on with Microsoft. They expected good things from us, and we needed to live up to those expectations with the project. Teaming up with Microsoft meant releasing the game on the latest Xbox console. I once again had the desire to make a high-end game. I wanted to go back to something photorealistic.

While it was a personal wish of mine, I thought it was also a necessary mission for PlatinumGames to improve our graphical ability and get to the next step of modern game creation. So we first decided to go with a universe like that.

I loved fantasy worlds since I was a child. I’ve always enjoyed worlds with swords, magic, and dragons. When I was a child, I don’t know if people overseas are familiar with these, but I would play Sorcerian, Hydlide, all these fantasy games from the classic PC era that I really enjoyed. I always wanted to make something around that theme. This is how I thought of a world revolving around a young man fighting together with a dragon.

However, it was a big challenge for PlatinumGames. We were working in an environment we weren’t used to. We were developing on the Unreal engine, we also lacked the necessary know-how to build a game based on online features. The hurdles we had to overcome were very big.

We weren’t experienced enough and couldn’t get over that wall, leading to what happened in the end. I’m sorry to the players who looked forward to it, and moreover I’m sorry to Microsoft who had placed their trust in us as a business partner. I want to apologize both as a creator and as a member of PlatinumGames.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I said this all the way back then
I don't know.

I've really liked their games over the years, but can they really deliver on 3 AAA and two low-mid games all simultaneously?

I hope they aren't spreading themselves too thin
They’ve never really been a true AAA studio. They’ve had some good games. But they still have not proven they deserve big budget AAA attention.

Since I made that post. They’ve had one of the games canceled, dropped two duds, and got dropped from two other support projects.

And they are still nowhere near dropping bayonetta 3.

For whatever reason they got a lot of stans on the internet, but they really ain’t done much of shyt since MGSR :manny:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I said this all the way back then

They’ve never really been a true AAA studio. They’ve had some good games. But they still have not proven they deserve big budget AAA attention.

Since I made that post. They’ve had one of the games canceled, dropped two duds, and got dropped from two other support projects.

And they are still nowhere near dropping bayonetta 3.

For whatever reason they got a lot of stans on the internet, but they really ain’t done much of shyt since MGSR :manny:
I love platinum, they've made some super fun games and battle systems.

But they really aren't a Triple A team.

MS tried to gamble on them and had to fold.

Truthfully they'd be a DOPE MS studio and given resources and time could blossom into something really special