HEVC 265 is the format to go brehs If your computer can't handle it you lost

Selfish

Banned
Daps
:wow:
Quality still great.
Size so small :blessed:

Seriously if your computer cannot handle that format then you need to get a new one ASAP!

Selfish

Banned
Daps
Thank you for this informstive thread, I feel enlightened already
I'm happy I have opened your eyes.
All these big movie files sadden me. Same for TV shows. My 1TB SSD cannot be filled up so quickly with files that could be easily formatted smaller with the same quality

My lord you watch game of thrones do you?
I'm on Season 2 episode 5 right now, and yes I watch them in HEVC 265 and I'm currently downloading the rest right now.
My lord I must say its an exceptional show. I'm only catching up now, I never should've doubted HBO :wow:

Daps
Reppin
HAWAII
umm yeah.... every new video codec standard will offer the same quality with a smaller file size. it's the whole point of reencoding videos with these codecs. x264 was a huge jump over xvid

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
:francis: The VLC player app on the current 4th generation Apple TV struggles with 1080p HEVC videos (720p HEVC videos play fine).

I'm convinced it just might be a VLC app issue & the app needs to be updated because 1080p HEVC videos play fine with the VLC app on the current 2nd generation Amazon Fire TV box despite having a lower end SoC than 4th generation Apple TV.

EDIT:

:ohhh: Looks like this be fixed in the upcoming version of tvOS announced last week at WWDC:

New in tvOS 11.0 - Support for High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC).

• High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) is a new standard for video encoding that offers substantially better compression than H.264 at the same level of visual quality.

• Use AV Foundation to playback movies containing HEVC encoded tracks, and to export videos.

• VideoToolbox clients can encode and decode HEVC video bitstreams.

Last edited:

Truefan31

Superstar
Daps
Are they? I haven't heard anything about that. Link?

Lemme see. I thought I heard it at their WWDC conference. The new Mac OS High Sierra as well as the new IOS 11 will store media in the HEVC format, basically saving almost 50% in storage space.

Strapped

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
:francis: The VLC player app on the current 4th generation Apple TV struggles with 1080p HEVC videos (720p HEVC videos play fine).

I'm convinced it just might be a VLC app issue & the app needs to be updated because 1080p HEVC videos play fine with the VLC app on the current 2nd generation Amazon Fire TV box despite having a lower end SoC than 4th generation Apple TV.

EDIT:

:ohhh: Looks like this be fixed in the upcoming version of tvOS announced last week at WWDC:
Try mxplayer

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

EDIT:

Try mxplayer
Uhhhh....I'm pretty sure MX Player is only available on Android, let alone not on the Apple TV.