Helldivers 2 (Arrowhead, PS5/PC, 2024) (457k+ CCU on Steam)

CodeKansas

Superstar
Daps
I think the big difference narratively between this and starship is this game implies that humans are actually the villains of the galaxy and they are using civilians of earth as cannon fodder. It’s almost mocking how overly patriotic ST is
That's actually the story of the film and novel. Hell, you don't even "see" an alien until near the end of the book. Before then all the information about them and their activities that you're getting is curated from an extremely biased lens.

"Would you like to know more?"

How is this running on PS5? Anybody noticing frame dips? I see that bad boy is only $40, so I might still go ahead and grab it on PC.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I’m loving this so far. It is a lot more to the game then killing aliens.

If you press square with your weapon you can change the scope range, rpm, burst, semi, auto and enable a flashlight on the weapon.

I like the idea of doing commands to activate strategems and satellites, etc. feels like it adds more strategy to the game.

Daps
That's actually the story of the film and novel. Hell, you don't even "see" an alien until near the end of the book. Before then all the information about them and their activities that you're getting is curated from an extremely biased lens.
The novel actually plays it straight. The whole story is Johnny Rico only becoming a man when he serves in the military and kills aliens. Rico's dad is angry when his son joins up, but a few years later, he also joins and straight up tells his son that he was angry because his son was more of a man than he was and so he had to join too.

The film is definitely anti-militarization, though. Paul Verhoeven got halfway through the book and hated it so much that he specifically made the movie a mockery of the book's pro-militarization, pro-fascist stance.

If Robert Heinlein were alive, he'd be angry tweeting about Helldivers taking after the movie version of his book.

Also, I can't believe Helldivers is getting this much hype and excitement.

Yayo Toure

Mighty Man City
Supporter
Daps
So is this a cop or not? Y'all just say the word.