get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Ruth Simmons named to senior post advising on HBCU partnerships​

Ruth Simmons.

February 27, 2023

PRAIRIE VIEW, Texas — Ruth Simmons, president of Prairie View A&M University, nationally recognized leader in higher education, and president emerita of Smith College and Brown University, will serve as a senior adviser to the president of Harvard University on engagement with Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs).
President Larry Bacow will announce the appointment today alongside Simmons, during a visit to Prairie View A&M University in Prairie View, Texas.

“Almost 20 years ago, Ruth Simmons had the courage to interrogate the history of Brown University as its president. Her leadership in that moment created new a path toward understanding and reckoning, and she has been walking that path ever since, urging all of us in higher education to follow her so that we might do more good in the world,” Bacow said. “I am thrilled that she has agreed to join us at Harvard to enrich our collaborative efforts with her extraordinary experience and unwavering resolve. We are indebted to her yet again.”

In the role, which will begin on June 1, Simmons will advise on efforts to support the recommendations of the Presidential Committee on Harvard & the Legacy of Slavery. Her work will focus on engaging in meaningful and enduring partnerships with the nation’s HBCUs, as laid out in Recommendation 3 of the report.

“I applaud President Bacow’s vision and Harvard’s hopes for a more inclusive future for higher education,” Simmons said. “From his courageous defense of the importance of diversity on our campuses to his support for the work of the Harvard & the Legacy of Slavery initiative, he has led with great wisdom and integrity. I am proud to work alongside Harvard to shape a new vision for higher education, one which acknowledges the need for institutions with different histories and missions to share expertise and productively collaborate in the interests of a more equitable society. Harvard’s recognition that HBCUs have much to contribute is a welcome and timely message.”

Last edited: