Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
The other nominees were Deathloop, Far Cry 6, and Back 4 Blood

No mention of CoD or Battlefield:picard:

The Best Shooter of 2021 Winner - IGN

2021's slate of gaming shooters has offered blasts from the past and bold new takes on first-person gunplay. Not only did we finally get the return of Master Chief in Halo Infinite following a year-long delay, but we also got the spiritual successor to Left 4 Dead in Back 4 Blood, the next entry in the beloved Far Cry series in Far Cry 6 - starring Breaking Bad's Giancarlo Esposito nonetheless - and Arkane Studios' Deathloop.

To celebrate the genre's variety this year, we chose the ones that made gunplay a focus and provided players with a ton of fun tools to take on the impossible odds presented to them.

But the one among them all that took home our prize for IGN's Best Shooter of 2021 is...

Halo Infinite
Halo’s best-in-class shooter credentials come from its ability to meaningly combine environment design with enemy behaviour and weapon options. 343 Industries take that to the next level with Halo Infinite’s open world. Groups of Grunts, Elites, Jackals, and Brutes return with their classic hierarchical responsibilities, but the extra space and tiered heights of the world provide Master Chief so many more possibilities to divide and conquer their ranks. That could be a rocky outcrop that becomes a sniper’s perch, a fusion coil hurled into the face of a charging foe, or using your Grappleshot to grab new weapons as your ammunition runs out. It’s the most energetic and free-form Halo’s combat has ever felt. This continues over to the multiplayer, where great map design is coupled with excellent weapon balance to create a fair-but-frantic combat arena that always begs for one more match. - Matt Purslow

Daps
Reppin
Golden Era/Drama free Zone
giphy.webp

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
alright time to download this game now that I’m basically done with cold war

this series is not for me…I just like the sound and feel of the guns in COD…in comparison the guns sound/feel weak in halo…same issue I had with 5…COD does its best to make you feel like you’re in a real firefight…halo gunplay just feels underwhelming…I’m speaking solely on the campaign…and these little creatures are goofy as shyt…the grappling hook is cool but not enough to keep me reeled in (no pun intended)

Last edited:

breakfuss

#SHAMBLES
Supporter
Daps
this series is not for me…I just like the sound and feel of the guns in COD…in comparison the guns sound/feel weak in halo…same issue I had with 5…COD does its best to make you feel like you’re in a real firefight…halo gunplay just feels underwhelming…I’m speaking solely on the campaign…and these little creatures are goofy as shyt…the grappling hook is cool but not enough to keep me reeled in (no pun intended)
I can agree with you on the weapon feel. It's why I almost exclusively roll with kinetic/traditional weapons instead of the laser gun "pew pew" shyt. I need that feedback as well. The campaign doesn't box you into using any one type though. As far as the grunts with all the stupid banter lmao, yea, it was a tonal whiplash. You got this dark and serious plot but then you're fighting these goofy gremlins and I didn't understand it at first (5 was my first Halo). It actually grew on me though. It's weird but I find it funny now for some reason.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I can agree with you on the weapon feel. It's why I almost exclusively roll with kinetic/traditional weapons instead of the laser gun "pew pew" shyt. I need that feedback as well. The campaign doesn't box you into using any one type though. As far as the grunts with all the stupid banter lmao, yea, it was a tonal whiplash. You got this dark and serious plot but then you're fighting these goofy gremlins and I didn't understand it at first (5 was my first Halo). It actually grew on me though. It's weird but I find it funny now for some reason.

described my reaction to a tee…especially the “pew pew” gun sounds lmaooo

it’s funny bcuz this was the same reaction I had to 5 which was my first attempt at getting into a halo game…you have this epic intro which sets a great tone, then you touch down into battle, start firing your gun and hear that cheap “pew pew” sound effect…probably sounds minor but I can’t get over it especially coming off of COD