Google Maps Led A Man To A Collapsed Bridge...Family is Suing

TELL ME YA CHEESIN FAM?

I walk around a little edgy already
Daps
Reppin
The H

"Google has been sued by the family of a North Carolina man claiming the company’s Maps application last year led him to drive off a collapsed bridge and fall about 20 feet to his death, according to the lawsuit.

Philip Paxson was following Google Maps directions while driving home late at night in September 2022 from his daughter’s 9th birthday party when the navigation system directed him to go over an unmarked and unbarricaded bridge that had collapsed years prior, the suit filed Tuesday states.

Paxson drove off the unbarricaded edge of the bridge in Hickory, North Carolina, and drowned, the suit says.

The lawsuit claims neighbors had expressed concern Google Maps had led drivers over the bridge, which allegedly has not been repaired since its partial collapse in 2013.

MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA - MAY 15: Google Headquarters is seen in Mountain View, California, United States on May 15, 2023. (Photo by Tayfun Coskun/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images)
Google reaches $93 million settlement in tracking location case
“For years before this tragedy, Hickory residents asked for the road to be fixed or properly barricaded before someone was hurt or killed. Their demands went unanswered,” Paxson family attorney Robert Zimmerman said in a statement. “We’ve discovered that Google Maps misdirected motorists like Mr. Paxson onto this collapsed road for years, despite receiving complaints from the public demanding that Google fix its map and directions to mark the road as CLOSED.”

Though residents notified Google Maps of the hazardous bridge, the application continued to navigate drivers over it, claims the suit, which includes a report made to Google Maps by a woman asking it to update its navigation system; CNN is unable to verify the veracity of the exhibit.

“You are not able to cross this road. GPS sends people down here, which is especially dangerous for emergency vehicles,” reads the report sent to Google Maps. “Please update this map so GPS is accurate"

:francis:

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i'm kinda curious what google's liability is here. they dont charge you to use it, and there's gotta be some kinda "use at your own risk" disclaimer that their lawyers would have made them put in. although if they ignored warnings about that bridge, any jury will bury them

frankly you would think that covering every road in the country, this would happen a lot more often :huhldup:

skyrunner1

Superstar
Daps
i'm kinda curious what google's liability is here. they dont charge you to use it, and there's gotta be some kinda "use at your own risk" disclaimer that their lawyers would have made them put in. although if they ignored warnings about that bridge, any jury will bury them

frankly you would think that covering every road in the country, this would happen a lot more often :huhldup:
wonder if the municipality/city gets any liability also, how do you have a collapsed bridge with no barricade or warning signs just open like that. yikes..

Charlie Hustle

Light Bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sin City
That’s wild. They needed the complete unabridged version.

Google maps isn't perfect. It makes mistakes :hubie:

Bridge-Quotes-to-Encourage-You-to-Make-Connections-40.jpg

ball15life

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The unknown
wonder if the municipality/city gets any liability also, how do you have a collapsed bridge with no barricade or warning signs just open like that. yikes..

The full article wasn't posted in the OP

"Besides Google, the family is suing its parent company, Alphabet, and two local companies it claims were responsible for maintaining the land and bridge, along with proper barricades and warning signs, and failed to repair the bridge or put up barricades and hazard warnings. The suit claims negligence and willful and wanton conduct by the companies and seeks an unspecified amount in punitive damages."

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
Help me understand how dude got to the bridge and didn't notice anything that looked off. Google can easily get off on this one. Family should've sued the city for not doing enough about it

Edit: i see they did also go after groups more at fault

558638.jpg