Going to the African American History & Culture Museum Today Got Any Tips?

Dad

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
DMV
- what metro stop is closest?

- maneuvering through the museum, is it better to work my way from the top floor to the bottom?

- I have the time stamped tickets, how long were you in line for?

- I heard the restaurant is great but expensive!

I wanna enjoy this experience as much as possible and not be blown.

Daps
Enjoy your visit. I plan on going some time on weekday next month.

The nearest metro stations are Smithsonian or Federal Triangle.

Dad

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Enjoy your visit. I plan on going some time on weekday next month.

The nearest metro stations are Smithsonian or Federal Triangle.
Thanks, breh.

I was thinking about smith Smithsonian but it's raining and I ain't tryna walk on that big ass field as soon as you come out the station.

Daps
Thanks, breh.

I was thinking about smith Smithsonian but it's raining and I ain't tryna walk on that big ass field as soon as you come out the station.

No prob.

LoL...yeah the weather sucks today. Maybe that means it won't be so busy today but I doubt it. I'm interested in hearing how your visit goes.

Dad

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
DMV
One of the best experiences - take your kids, nieces, grandparents anyone you can!

Smithsonian station is the best metro station to get off on.
Don't worry about the time printed on the ticket, they'll let you in regardless.
Don't bogart your way through, go through the middle passage. GO INSIDE THE RECREATION OF THE SLAVE SHIP & SEE THE SLAVE QUARTERS!
Work your way through the whole exhibit no matter how long it may take.

MUST SEES:
Emitt Tills casket
Tape recorder Malcom used
Harriet Tubmans shawl
How big the barrels of cotton were
Oprah's set

Everyone will come away with their own experience but it's a must see.

Daps
One of the best experiences - take your kids, nieces, grandparents anyone you can!

Smithsonian station is the best metro station to get off on.
Don't worry about the time printed on the ticket, they'll let you in regardless.
Don't bogart your way through, go through the middle passage. GO INSIDE THE RECREATION OF THE SLAVE SHIP & SEE THE SLAVE QUARTERS!
Work your way through the whole exhibit no matter how long it may take.

MUST SEES:
Emitt Tills casket
Tape recorder Malcom used
Harriet Tubmans shawl
How big the barrels of cotton were
Oprah's set

Everyone will come away with their own experience but it's a must see.

Good info about the tickets.

Thanks for the review breh.

:salute:

• Dap
Reactions: Dad

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
I'm going tomorrow. Good looks OP?

What were those restaurant prices looking like tho? :lupe: should I make sure my shortie eats before we visit? :usure:

Dad

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
DMV
I'm going tomorrow. Good looks OP?

What were those restaurant prices looking like tho? :lupe: should I make sure my shortie eats before we visit? :usure:

Yeah definitely eat before you go! I didn't go in but I heard two entrees with two cold (salad)sides each, one soda, one tap water, and a mini sweet potato pie tin (half the size of the mini pies NOI sells)...$68. The line was long though!

BUT PLEASE MAKE SURE EVERYONE YOU GOING WITH GETS THEIR PINS WHEN YA'LL LEAVE!

Also check out the exhibit rooms on each floors that border the main museums, that's where the Mothership, Ali's gloves, etc is at.

Enjoy yourself though, breh.

Dad

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
DMV
What is the elevator to the underground floor like?

It's crazy because of the size of the elevator & people are cramped in their like a slave ship (not sure if that was intention). but as you go down there are various dates on the wall from 2005 to 1989 - 1975 - 1954...until you get to the final floor, the 1700's and that's where you start - at the middle passage.

The details that went into making this a complete experience that everyone could walk away with still blows my mind. I appreciated the love and thought that went into making our elders comfortable. Since it's a lot of walking, every floor has a screening section; sort of like a recap of what took place but it allows the handicap and our older brothers & sisters a place to rest and regroup all while still being able to enjoy the experience.

Breh, I apologize cuz I went off on a tangent but it's truly a wonderful experience.

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
Yeah definitely eat before you go! I didn't go in but I heard two entrees with two cold (salad)sides each, one soda, one tap water, and a mini sweet potato pie tin (half the size of the mini pies NOI sells)...$68. The line was long though!

BUT PLEASE MAKE SURE EVERYONE YOU GOING WITH GETS THEIR PINS WHEN YA'LL LEAVE!

Also check out the exhibit rooms on each floors that border the main museums, that's where the Mothership, Ali's gloves, etc is at.

Enjoy yourself though, breh.
Breh, tell me why when my girl and I were leaving her place, right before closing the door, her roommate shouts out "oh and get the food!!!"

:snoop::pacspit:

After getting there, we didn't even feel like standing in another line tho. We might go back later this month.

We spent over 5 hours in there. It was cool for the most part.

They coulda named it the Oprah Winfrey and friends museum too tho:sas2:

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
It's crazy because of the size of the elevator & people are cramped in their like a slave ship (not sure if that was intention). but as you go down there are various dates on the wall from 2005 to 1989 - 1975 - 1954...until you get to the final floor, the 1700's and that's where you start - at the middle passage.

The details that went into making this a complete experience that everyone could walk away with still blows my mind. I appreciated the love and thought that went into making our elders comfortable. Since it's a lot of walking, every floor has a screening section; sort of like a recap of what took place but it allows the handicap and our older brothers & sisters a place to rest and regroup all while still being able to enjoy the experience.

Breh, I apologize cuz I went off on a tangent but it's truly a wonderful experience.
I think most people will like the sports and entertainement sections the best.

The C concourses left much to be desired. They coulda hit harder on slavery. It could have been more emotional. But I'm sure they don't wanna make women and children cry lol.

It seemed like they spent the most attention on music, sports, the military and other political topics.

Obama's and Oprah's section was dope to me.

Dad

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
DMV
They coulda named it the Oprah Winfrey and friends museum too tho:sas2:[/QUOTE]

:mjlol:

We were looking at the baby crib that oprah donated and this lady randomly blurted, "What the hell kind of random shyt does Oprah have in her storage unit!" :damn: