Going back to school or nah?

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
Hello TLR,

I am looking for some genuine advice on what I should do in terms of going back to school.

I have a background in Sports Management, Business Administration and Philosophy, but only graduated with a General Studies degree. The story goes that, nearing my graduation, in my last semester, I was told to comply to certain requirements in order to stay in school (despite not having any official violations). My parents advised me to just transfer, and while I wanted to finish, I was too stubborn to comply so I went to a state school instead (I was previously out of state), and took the quickest route of getting a degree in General Studies to save money and rest on my interviewing ability and acquired knowledge at my previous school in order to get a good job.

Instead of being able to get the job I desired, I have ended up working as a general staff member of a tennis center, giving out tennis lessons on occasion (which pays fairly well). I strive for more.

Should I go back to school to get a better degree? Should I go for a Master's, or get a different bachelor's degree? What should I try to get it in (Master's in Education with a concentration in Sports Leadership and Coaching for example)? Should I stay the course and hope things start to open up for me? Just for more information, I have no loans or debt whatsoever but am not in great shape in terms of assets or savings.

What say you?

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Awesome job!!! I want to play tennis but I'm too :flabbynsick:

Are there any schools close to you so that you can still work?

what job do you want next?

if a master's is cheaper and helps you get the career path you want, do it.

if another bachelors can, then do it.

but i think a master's will be more appealing to employers.

JoseLuisGotcha

Aka Allhiphopsux
Daps
Reppin
#717 --> #215 #PA #ByrdGang
unless you really know what you want to do what's the point of getting more in debt?

plus whatever field you want to get into say engineering/comp. science you need that undergraduate degree in order to get your masters or you will be taking maaad classes to make that up...

i say advance degrees should be resevered for people with a solid career path/already in their field looking to take on a bigger role ...

with that being said find what you want to do and just get certs. like if you want to get into marketing just get your foot in the door somewhere and get an adwords cert, ppc cert media buying certs whatever you want to focus in cause in those type industries it isnt academics its what you know and have experience in...

best bet is to find a field u want jump on lynda.com and youtube and soak as much as you can up so u can talk that shyt in the interview

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
Awesome job!!! I want to play tennis but I'm too :flabbynsick:

Are there any schools close to you so that you can still work?

what job do you want next?

if a master's is cheaper and helps you get the career path you want, do it.

if another bachelors can, then do it.

but i think a master's will be more appealing to employers.

Thank you. Tennis is pretty fun but I don't think I can do it long term. I played at a high level from childhood through high school and got burnt out so I see the same thing happening if I make it a profession. Its always something to fall back on though.

Im not sure what job I want next. I may be moving to Europe, so I am currently planning on enrolling in an online master's program, preferably at Michigan State (Which is Education and can be concentrated in Sports), but I am unsure. I might just go the bachelors avenue and try to do something with computers or engineering. That's why I am asking for help. Im not quite sure which is the better route.

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
unless you really know what you want to do what's the point of getting more in debt?

plus whatever field you want to get into say engineering/comp. science you need that undergraduate degree in order to get your masters or you will be taking maaad classes to make that up...

i say advance degrees should be resevered for people with a solid career path/already in their field looking to take on a bigger role ...

with that being said find what you want to do and just get certs. like if you want to get into marketing just get your foot in the door somewhere and get an adwords cert, ppc cert media buying certs whatever you want to focus in cause in those type industries it isnt academics its what you know and have experience in...

best bet is to find a field u want jump on lynda.com and youtube and soak as much as you can up so u can talk that shyt in the interview

True. Thanks. I currently have no loans or debt so I could afford to take some on and apply for financial aid additionally.

I am planning on getting certified as a tennis instructor so I can teach in Europe, as long as everything goes according to plans. I need to study up though, as they go by the books, and I am more of a natural so I teach unconventionally.

I just want something more legitimate than tennis as a career. Sure it's a great skill to have, and can be taught anywhere, but I need more. The tennis business is run by guys with regional strangleholds, that's why you don't really see too many younger coaches in the business, aside from people who have been close to tennis pros for years.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Thank you. Tennis is pretty fun but I don't think I can do it long term. I played at a high level from childhood through high school and got burnt out so I see the same thing happening if I make it a profession. Its always something to fall back on though.

Im not sure what job I want next. I may be moving to Europe, so I am currently planning on enrolling in an online master's program, preferably at Michigan State (Which is Education and can be concentrated in Sports), but I am unsure. I might just go the bachelors avenue and try to do something with computers or engineering. That's why I am asking for help. Im not quite sure which is the better route.

do whatever makes you happy and is a viable option. dont pick a major where it will be hard to get a job breh

JoseLuisGotcha

Aka Allhiphopsux
Daps
Reppin
#717 --> #215 #PA #ByrdGang
True. Thanks. I currently have no loans or debt so I could afford to take some on and apply for financial aid additionally.

I am planning on getting certified as a tennis instructor so I can teach in Europe, as long as everything goes according to plans. I need to study up though, as they go by the books, and I am more of a natural so I teach unconventionally.

I just want something more legitimate than tennis as a career. Sure it's a great skill to have, and can be taught anywhere, but I need more. The tennis business is run by guys with regional strangleholds, that's why you don't really see too many younger coaches in the business, aside from people who have been close to tennis pros for years.

Obviously u enjoy tennis and it seems u learned everything u need to learn at ur spot now ...why don't u branch off....u made connects work em into private lessons and get referrals start your own tennis school

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
Obviously u enjoy tennis and it seems u learned everything u need to learn at ur spot now ...why don't u branch off....u made connects work em into private lessons and get referrals start your own tennis school

Yea...that's my backup plan. I get referrals for private lessons quite often, but in reality, I don't truthfully enjoy it. I find it painstakingly boring to teach the same thing over and over again...so even though it is incredibly easy for me, its not something I want to do for a long period of time.

The problem is that most jobs aren't dynamic in nature and require tedious tasks to be repeated over and over again.

To the IT certs suggestion, that is what my brain is telling me, although I know next to nothing about programming currently.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I think you should figure out what you want to do first. That will determine what type of degree to get, if any. Once you get an idea of the direction you want to go ask yourself "what can you do with the degree I have now that I CAN'T do with the degree I'm trying to pursue?". You may just need to network with some people in the industry you want to pursue rather than go to school.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
personal trainer? athletic trainer?? or physical therapy seem like stable careers that should parallel to what you want to do.

But real talk, unless you're seriously about that stem life I wouldn't recommend computer sci / engineering to just anyone.

It's a lot easier said than done.

Most people aint willing to put in the work, required to learn all that math....