[GI.biz] E3 2021: Xbox has everything to prove | Opinion

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Microsoft has done almost everything right with the Series X so far; now it's time to show off the fruits of its software investments, and there's little margin for error

Every year, there's a certain sense going into the E3 period of wondering "who will win." Which publisher is going to blow people away with something from left-field that gets the industry and ultimately the whole gaming world talking? Which platform holder is going to wow people with a line-up that makes it clear that they're going to have a very, very good year ahead? This latter "win" can actually be more important than just an internet argument; platforms gain significant inertia and consumer goodwill from a good showing at an event like this, and the halo effect of an impressive software pipeline doesn't just impact sales, it also influences the future planning of third-party developers and publishers.

I'm not sure the narrative of "winning" E3 has ever been less meaningful; short of some absolutely blinding performance from one firm or another, the real question for each platform holder isn't going to be whether they "won," but rather whether they accomplished what they needed to accomplish in order to stay relevant and successful in the coming months and years.

Sony is easy to assess precisely because it's by far the company with the least to prove right now -- which may also explain why it isn't doing E3 to the same extent of its rivals. It entered this generation not only as market leader, but with an incredibly well-respected and successful first-party software pipeline pumping out hits on a reliable basis. PS5 is a solid console, the pipeline is doing its job and providing a good line-up of exclusives on the way. Supply chain issues aside, there hasn't been a major stumble yet. If Sony's plan for PS5 was "do the stuff that made PS4 successful, but more," then it's executing on it as solidly as anyone could have hoped.

Microsoft is in quite a different situation. It came to this generation as the underdog, and its execution around the hardware, launch and service offering for Xbox Series X isn't just "solid," it's been outright spectacular. The backwards compatibility support is astoundingly good, which seems like a slightly odd place to focus so much effort until you see how well it combines with Game Pass' offering of an enormous library of back catalogue titles -- a combination of technology and service that's entirely unrivalled by any other platform. The jaw-dropping impressiveness of that offering, however, can't quite cover for the company's problem: as of right now, it's set to come out from its own supply-constrained period with an actual software line-up -- in terms of first-party and exclusive games -- that's far, far weaker than Sony's. That's a problem big enough to overshadow everything else Microsoft has achieved with Xbox in the past year; no matter what your service offering is, I don't think the logic of "games sell consoles" has changed a single bit since the 1980s.

The company knows it needs to prove itself on this front; it just dropped billions of dollars on Bethesda for precisely that reason, buying some of the software pipeline that it simply doesn't have time to build from scratch. Even so, the timing is tricky; the Bethesda acquisition is still fresh and I wouldn't expect much beyond perhaps some logo/artwork teases for any Bethesda exclusives at this stage, but the company needs to start building anticipation and belief in its future pipeline sooner rather than later. We know that Xbox has been building out its game studios for several years now; E3 is its chance to start proving to the world that this is going to turn into a software pipeline that can go toe-to-toe with what Sony's doing.

Ultimately, however, E3 week is almost certainly going to be all about Microsoft; it goes into the show with the most to prove, and the most obvious ways to prove it. If everything goes as it should, the gaming world should all be talking about Xbox by the end of the week -- and if we're not, it'll raise some pretty big questions about how the XSX is going to fare once this very peculiar console launch period gets past its supply constraints and the early sprint settles down into the marathon pace of real platform competition.

E3 2021: Xbox has everything to prove | Opinion

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Great article, i agree with most of it. Microsoft manage to salvage it’s reputation early on with great hardware and services, but it’s clear this E3 is all eyes on xbox and everyones waiting to see if they can add the missing piece of the puzzle. High quality Games

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
Great article, i agree with most of it. Microsoft manage to salvage it’s reputation early on with great hardware and services, but it’s clear this E3 is all eyes on xbox and everyones waiting to see if they can add the missing piece of the puzzle. High quality Games
Agreed

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Im hopin they talk about these

Halo Infinite multiplayer beta
Starfield gameplay
Avowed

update on Fables development

prolly too soon for them to have anything to show on Perfect Dark but its wishful thinking.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Im hopin they talk about these

Halo Infinite multiplayer beta
Starfield gameplay
Avowed

update on Fables development

prolly too soon for them to have anything to show on Perfect Dark but its wishful thinking.

Halo and starfield are all but confirmed for deep dives, beta is like 50/50

Avowed from what everyone is saying is a no-go

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
EWZ1rhRXQAEJEBo

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Apparently they have at least one new studio acquisition to announce.

TBH with Sony not doing any event and M$ with Bethesda plus some new unannounced big games like Omen and that IO game, I can see them having their biggest E3 in years.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Microsoft has done almost everything right with the Series X so far; now it's time to show off the fruits of its software investments, and there's little margin for error

E3 2021: Xbox has everything to prove | Opinion
I think I speak for everybody when I say could you please stop making threads the same way they created on other sites? You got that neoresert swag in your thread title and we don't talk like that around here. I feel it's important to maintain originality so leave that cracker shyt over there

Opinion post...

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I think I speak for everybody when I say could you please stop making threads the same way they created on other sites? You got that neoresert swag in your thread title and we don't talk like that around here. I feel it's important to maintain originality so leave that cracker shyt over there

Opinion post...

How do you know?:jbhmm:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Trash opinion piece Sony has a ton to prove as well, but continue to use and put up with trash hardware/software configurations, sketch hardware, and lies for 1st party games brehs.