Getting back on power clean

KOOL-AID

I Pitty Da Fool
Supporter
Daps
Wanted to start doing them again, but im having trouble with my form; ex- I'm tryin to get out of the habit of catching the bar with my hands instead of upper body and keepin my elbows up and bent. Some overall tips and vids wld be helpful.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
I dont fukk with Olympic lifts gawd
giphy.gif

Soundwave

No Known Weaknesses
Supporter
Daps
I had to start wearing gloves at the gym because power cleans gave me callouses :mjcry:

You Win Perfect

bow down
Daps
Wanted to start doing them again, but im having trouble with my form; ex- I'm tryin to get out of the habit of catching the bar with my hands instead of upper body and keepin my elbows up and bent. Some overall tips and vids wld be helpful.

could be problems with your (upper) back muscles being tight. might have to improve flexibility there. that is what could be making it difficult for you to keep your elbows up.

if your elbows are not pointed up the weight will fall on your hands/wrists which will lead to injury.

wrist flexibility is not a big factor. but of course you want to make sure you are loose and have some flexibility. some people just don't have that range of motion wit the wrists. like myself but if your elbows are pointed up your wrists should not be a major issue.

Your core has to be strong as well for this lift.

you should not add any weight to the bar until you can rack properly.

*sidenote*
not sure why @Serious would give that kind of advice. not good advice at all.

Last edited:

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
I'm not too good at explaining it in words. There's multiple things going on. You want to begin the pull with your legs, keep your back curved with your upper torso erect, where you get to the point of standing, then you want to continue pulling upwards where you are on the balls of your feet, and when you get the highest, then you want to shrug your shoulders at high as possible. Then, you want to drop under the bar. Here you shuffle both feet outward a bit so your stance is wider, but not duck squat wider. You drop your body under the bar and catch it on the front of your chest. Your arms shouldn't be doing any pulling after the drop, if so, you screwed up.
That video above is good. Start with just the barbell, 45 lbs. 45 lbs is really easy and you could probably do a dikk push-up with the barbell, but that's not the point. Go down full squat under the bar to get the muscle memory working.

KOOL-AID

I Pitty Da Fool
Supporter
Daps
:salute:
sidenote- what wld yall categorize this under, legs or back (upper or lower exercise)???

Hybrinetics

Banned
Daps
:salute:
sidenote- what wld yall categorize this under, legs or back (upper or lower exercise)???
Lower and upper, but the upper back will be hit hard. Any exercise where you have to pick weight off the ground will really hit the upper back, deadlifts, cleans, farmers walk etc.

semtex

:)
Daps
It's a hip hinge movement, do not try to push with your legs. As far as the catch phase goes, idk because I do high pulls only. It was enough for Bill Goldberg :manny: