German Speakers, Learners of Other Foreign Languages Come in Aswell

Poh SIti Dawn

Staying Positive, Getting Better Everyday. Holler!
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've been learning German for a year and some change on and off now, I recently took a trip to berlin a week+ ago and realized that I'd like to take the TestDAF which is a test that allows me to go to a university in Germany for free if I pass it.

Has anyone done anything similar to this? And how do you practice speaking a language that you've learned in America if hardly any people that you meet speak it? I've been reading a book in German to get my comprehension up but still I feel as if I were to lie there I'd be fluent in a few months easily.

Theraflu

Newly-wed :blessed:
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Power
I live in Berlin but moved here from London, I learnt it with the assistance of living here day to day. learning is much harder without having to practice it. I'm currently learning how to speak French too and want to move on to Spanish after. As cliche as it is I'm using Rosetta Stone and it's working well for me. I currently speak 3 languages, hope to make it 5 within the next few years. Rosetta Stone, youtube, possibly finding groups in your area for German learners is all I can think of.

Poh SIti Dawn

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I live in Berlin but moved here from London, I learnt it with the assistance of living here day to day. learning is much harder without having to practice it. I'm currently learning how to speak French too and want to move on to Spanish after. As cliche as it is I'm using Rosetta Stone and it's working well for me. I currently speak 3 languages, hope to make it 5 within the next few years. Rosetta Stone, youtube, possibly finding groups in your area for German learners is all I can think of.
Wish your booty would of told me that when I was in berlin, we could of went out together. As far as practice, I've been speaking it for a minute, I'm reading it to expand my vocabulary, I think my worry is more about passing the TestDAF and actually being able to study there and lead a successful life. Also since you speak English fluently, please explain to me why exactly are Germans giving Americans and other nationalities the opportunity to study there for free if they can speak the language well enough?

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly do you do?

SumBlackguyz

Cacs Gonna Cac
Daps
Reppin
Greensboro, NC
Wish your booty would of told me that when I was in berlin, we could of went out together. As far as practice, I've been speaking it for a minute, I'm reading it to expand my vocabulary, I think my worry is more about passing the TestDAF and actually being able to study there and lead a successful life. Also since you speak English fluently, please explain to me why exactly are Germans giving Americans and other nationalities the opportunity to study there for free if they can speak the language well enough?

could you expand on this, friend? I may need to look into this for engineering purposes if I can get good education for something so simple

Poh SIti Dawn

Daps
Reppin
NULL
could you expand on this, friend? I may need to look into this for engineering purposes if I can get good education for something so simple
You're the second person to ask me this, but I can't and that's why I've made a thread about it. I wanted to hear about others experiences and such. I suggest you google it or speak the German program at your school. Do you speak German?

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
Ive been learning japanese for the past couple of months. I agree that, with out having to use it, its hard to retain. I play some jpn imports so that helps with practice, but its nothing like having to speak and read it with native speakers.

-DMP-

IrishBrother

Bubblin' in Dublin
Daps
You're the second person to ask me this, but I can't and that's why I've made a thread about it. I wanted to hear about others experiences and such. I suggest you google it or speak the German program at your school. Do you speak German?

Its a language test foreign students need to take before enrolling in third level education over there.. Its not free education for anyone and everyone who passes. For EU citizens, some courses may be(or they are charged the same as a German citizen) - but full rates apply for non EU citizens.

Someones being lying to you, buddy.

SumBlackguyz

Cacs Gonna Cac
Daps
Reppin
Greensboro, NC
i dont speak it, but i have a real interest to learn it in the future. I got put on to Rammstein and pretty much teaching myself the vocabulary from there. But as far as grammar goes :huhldup:

Theraflu

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Power

When next you come to Berlin beers on me, my brehs here are always psyched when our out of town fam come round so just shoot me a PM when next you come. I'm sure you got treated well here. In Germany there used to be a ban of university fee's all together up for EU students until 2005 now I know that most undergrad degree's are still free for everyone. It's a great thing because as you know in the UK fee's are extortionate, I take it as a reflection of the economy, the UK used to be free too but due to economy budgets and debt they raised it. As long as Germany maintains a healthy budget they should still be able to afford to allow people to study for free.for EU students.

I'll PM you what I do for a living.

Poh SIti Dawn

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Its a language test foreign students need to take before enrolling in third level education over there.. Its not free. For EU citizens, some courses may be(or they are charged the same as a German citizen) - but full rates apply for non EU citizens.

The test isn't free, the education is if you pass.

Poh SIti Dawn

Daps
Reppin
NULL
i dont speak it, but i have a real interest to learn it in the future. I got put on to Rammstein and pretty much teaching myself the vocabulary from there. But as far as grammar goes :huhldup:
Lol the grammar is the most important part man. And sorry but idk who rammstein is..

Theraflu

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Power
Its a language test foreign students need to take before enrolling in third level education over there.. Its not free education for anyone and everyone who passes. For EU citizens, some courses may be(or they are charged the same as a German citizen) - but full rates apply for non EU citizens.

There are now numerous programs dedicated to supporting International students to study here for free. I read about it a while ago. Could dig u some links if needed.