General Trump Administration F**kery Thread

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

What do you propose? An invasion?

I'm not entirely onboard with that but something has to happen.

When I was a child I would meet children from Venezuela all the time when they were on vacation. I have to wonder what happened to them and how their lives turned out.

When I was in college there was a woman in her late twenties or early thirties I had a class with and we'd give each other rides home and talk about what was going on there and that she was fortunate to leave. That was ten years ago.

Today we have food shortages, medical shortages, human rights abuses, crippling inflation, and millions of refugees.

We can't pretend this normal. How many generations need to be ruined by this?

I think enough is enough

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
I'm not entirely onboard with that but something has to happen.

When I was a child I would meet children from Venezuela all the time when they were on vacation. I have to wonder what happened to them and how their lives turned out.

When I was in college there was a woman in her late twenties or early thirties I had a class with and we'd give each other rides home and talk about what was going on there and that she was fortunate to leave. That was ten years ago.

Today we have food shortages, medical shortages, human rights abuses, crippling inflation, and millions of refugees.

We can't pretend this normal. How many generations need to be ruined by this?

I think enough is enough

The thing is, the US's local agents, the upper class comparador elite that ran the country for over 150 years, and were subservient to first London banking interests and then fully under US control after the 1890's, are just too weak.

So without local agents, you need an army to invade. The other countries in the region have already voiced their displeasure with a US military invasion. And the pro-American elements of the army are outnumbered by the revolutionaries installed by Chavez. So, if/when Maduro is overthrown, the counter coup will be viscous, bloody and you'll probably have an even more anti-US government.

You see the collapse of the rule of law and criminal gangs around Venezuela which is paralyzing the police. However, Maduro isn't a guy who has killed tens of thousands in a purge of his opponents. He doesn't like conflict and killing. But what's destructive is he is naive and utterly clueless about economics, currency management, and international trade.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
The thing is, the US's local agents, the upper class comparador elite that ran the country for over 150 years, and were subservient to first London banking interests and then fully under US control after the 1890's, are just too weak.

So without local agents, you need an army to invade. The other countries in the region have already voiced their displeasure with a US military invasion. And the pro-American elements of the army are outnumbered by the revolutionaries installed by Chavez. So, if/when Maduro is overthrown, the counter coup will be viscous, bloody and you'll probably have an even more anti-US government.

You see the collapse of the rule of law and criminal gangs around Venezuela which is paralyzing the police. However, Maduro isn't a guy who has killed tens of thousands in a purge of his opponents. He doesn't like conflict and killing. But what's destructive is he is naive and utterly clueless about economics, currency management, and international trade.

If the US or their neighbors ultimately have to fine. Listen Maduro isn't going to change and therefore the situation in Venezuela won't change. Everyone has tried to negotiate and soft shoe around the issues for years and Maduro won't accept that he's failed. I also think the issue is past him at this point but his actions matter: rigged election, rigged supreme court, kills, arrests and intimidates political opponents, I'm pretty positive they dissolved their senate/congress and replaced them this year or last year and on and on it goes.

The police are as violent and vicious as any gang in Venezuela other than Maduro's militias. I'm sure some of the blogs you read are saying the same thing about Ortega being an innocent victim. A counter coup probably will be bloody but is it any worse than people dying of starvation and curable diseases?

What Maudro has done is well documented. What is happening in Venezuela is well documented. The Chavistas and Maduro backers are a straight up personality cult that are given favor over average citizens from food to medicine and there are militias that carry out extrajudicial killings on Maduro's behalf. This isn't democracy. Society has basically completely broken down in Venezuela.

Also I don't know how much longer Venezuela's neighbors will sit idle. The refugee issue we're seeing can easily turn that whole region into a tinderbox. I know some countries are already saying the Venezuelans will need passports now, there was violence in one of the regions of Brazil over refugees recently and I think Pence was in Colombia a few months ago to offer them more aid to deal with the crisis. I don't think the people in the neighboring countries are selfish or necessarily right wing but the economic reality of the citizens living there and their governments inability to support either citizen or refugee is highlighted by mass movements of people.

I don't think any of this is sustainable. Venezuela isn't going to fix itself either.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

Trump blasts Sessions over GOP congressmen indictments - CNNPolitics

He's openly, publicly pissed off that the Justice Department would dare enforce the law against Republicans before the election. And he's lying about them being Obama-era charges - both investigations were started under Sessions last year, one of them deals with incidents that didn't even occur until Trump became president.

If this were ANY other president, people would be going insane that the president was blatantly co-signing corruption for the same of maintaining his party's power. But because it's Trump, everyone shrugging their shoulders with a "yeah, we know he's corrupt" lack of concern.