General Trump Administration F**kery Thread

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
It honestly depends on the region...School voucher and charter schools have been proven to work in some regions in the US but fail in others..Research is spotty on it because some organizations who fund research for it like the Teacher's unions will spin it that it doesnt work because it chips away at the idea of public schools..Other more right leaning organizations deem it as a success because it creates market forces that forces public schools to either improve or shut down..From my own research I deem vouchers/charters as great alternative to the public schools system..Because we know for a fact that black students, specifically black males are failed time and time again by the system.

the places whee they have been shown to be neutral or no impact are in white areas, if you separate the black numbers from the general public numbers they charters and vouchers do better with black kids, which stands to reason since a black child is more likely to go to a shytty school and a white child is more likely to go to a good school

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
the places whee they have been shown to be neutral or no impact are in white areas, if you separate the black numbers from the general public numbers they charters and vouchers do better with black kids, which stands to reason since a black child is more likely to go to a shytty school and a white child is more likely to go to a good school

Yup
The Unappreciated Success Of Charter Schools

And the results are especially strong for black students in poverty. As the CREDO study reports:

“Black students in poverty who attend charter schools gain an additional 29 days of learning in reading and 36 days in math per year over their [traditional public school] counterparts (see Figure 30). This shows the impact of charter schooling is especially beneficial for black students who in poverty.”

You see this result repeated on other studies as well. Using randomized study results from charter school lotteries in Massachusetts, Angrist, Pathak, and Walters find that non-urban charters don’t outperform public schools and may even do worse, but urban charter schools benefit black students and poor students:

Black and Hispanic students benefit considerably from urban charter attendance in middle school, but the estimated math gains for whites are smaller, with no increase in whites’ ELA scores. Urban charter middle schools appear to produce especially large achievement gains for students eligible for a subsidized lunch and for those with low baseline scores.Attendance at urban charter high schools increases math scores in every group and raises reading scores for everyone except whites, though estimates for small groups are imprecise.

It’s hard to imagine it another policy being called a failure because it only benefitted poor students and black students but the overall scores were held down by non-urban schools and white students.

The improvement of the charter sector over time is not surprising and has been documented elsewhere. A recent NBER paper found this was true for charter schools in Texas. The abstract reports:

We study quality changes among Texas charter schools between 2001 and 2011. Our results suggest that the charter sector was initially characterized by schools whose quality was highly variable and, on average, less effective than traditional public schools. However, exits from the sector, improvement of existing charter schools, and positive selection of charter management organizations that open additional schools raised average charter school effectiveness over time relative to traditional public schools.

As a result, I think charter critics who draw on empirical research that compares outcomes are fighting a losing battle. The charter sector is outperforming public schools by some measures already, but more importantly they are getting better over time. I have little doubt that the next CREDO study will show charters making even more gains. Critics determined to oppose charters should start to pivot now, because they are standing on a leg that will give out eventually.

The charter sectors’ ability to do better for poor students and black students is important given that they disproportionately serve them. I remember when I was an undergrad in the early 2000s, the debates on charter schools were far more theoretical than they are now. Back then I frequently heard the concern that charter schools were just going to engage in “cream skimming”, be a way for middle class white families to escape urban school systems, and thus serve as one more form of segregation in this country. This concern has not come true, and currently 53% of charter students are in poverty compared 48% for public schools. Charters also serve more minority students than public schools: charters are 29% black, while public schools are 16%. So not only do they serve more poor students and black students, but for this group they relatively consistently outperform public schools.

What’s odd is how often these facts go ignored. If the opposite were true, and charters served less minority or low-income students than public schools then it this would be trumpeted constantly and presented as perhaps the most important evidence in this debate. Or if charters showed strong positive results overall but didn’t benefit poor students or black students they would be condemned as institutions that further inequality. I’m not accusing anyone of conscious bias here, but I think if the empirical research on any other policy showed similar results that charters do for poor students and black students it would be far more widely embraced, and the average effects would be downplayed as less important.

DlAMONDZ

That pu$$y got me grinning
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Thats a good first step. When I was in school we had MCAS and it was a joke that wasted class resources and time and didn't provide an effective tool to gauge student education. Not sure how I feel about taking funding away from public schools though. Anyone have good reading material on that?
Believe politicians brehs

I'm bet you nikkas still believe invading Iraq was about bringing freedom to the iraqi people:russ:

CACtain Planet

The Power is YOURS!
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
CACness Aberdeen
Right on breh

DonFrancisco

Your Favorite Tio!
Daps
Reppin
Sabado Gigante
My question if anyone can answer it: do states with many charter schools have a higher tution rate? I only ask this because if vouchers can't keep up with median tution you could see a very similar issues like the US health system. In a sense that the prices are inflated due in part to decentralization and huge inequality gaps.

BocaRear

The World Is My Country, To Do Good Is My Religion
Daps
Trump trying to appoint the UK's ambassador to the U.S. :lolbron:

fukk farage - this scumbag's entire campaign against the EU was that it was run by unelected unaccountable bureacrats & now he's about to waltz into the position of UK ambassador:wow:

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Donald Trump Chooses Tom Price as Health Secretary

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/28/us/politics/tom-price-secretary-health-and-human-services.html

WASHINGTON — If President-elect Donald J. Trump wanted a cabinet secretary who could help him dismantle and replace President Obama’s health care law, he could not have found anyone more prepared than Representative Tom Price, who has been studying how to accomplish that goal for more than six years.

Mr. Price, an orthopedic surgeon who represents many of the northern suburbs of Atlanta, speaks with the self-assurance of a doctor about to perform another joint-replacement procedure. He knows the task and will proceed with brisk efficiency.

Mr. Trump has selected Mr. Price, a six-term Republican congressman, to be secretary of health and human services, according to a transition team official.

Also on Monday, Mr. Trump met with David H. Petraeus, the highly decorated but scandal-scarred former military commander, who has emerged as a new contender for secretary of state.

Let's look at his history:

• Voted YES on banning federal health coverage that includes abortion. (May 2011)
  • Prohibit federal funding for abortion. (May 2011)
  • Prohibit federal funding to groups like Planned Parenthood. (Jan 2011)
  • No family planning assistance that includes abortion. (Jan 2013)
  • Grant the pre-born equal protection under 14th Amendment. (Jan 2007)
  • Voted NO on reauthorizing the Violence Against Women Act. (Feb 2013)
  • Voted NO on prohibiting job discrimination based on sexual orientation. (Nov 2007)
  • Voted YES on Constitutionally defining marriage as one-man-one-woman. (Jul 2006)

• Voted NO on expanding the Children's Health Insurance Program. (Jan 2009)
  • Voted YES on overriding veto on expansion of Medicare. (Jul 2008)
  • Voted NO on giving mental health full equity with physical health. (Mar 2008)
  • Voted NO on Veto override: Extend SCHIP to cover 6M more kids. (Jan 2008)
  • Voted NO on adding 2 to 4 million children to SCHIP eligibility. (Oct 2007)
  • Voted NO on requiring negotiated Rx prices for Medicare part D. (Jan 2007)
  • Voted YES on denying non-emergency treatment for lack of Medicare co-pay. (Feb 2006)
  • Repeal any federal health care takeover. (Jul 2010)
  • Deauthorize funding for Obamacare. (Jul 2010)
  • Repeal the Job-Killing Health Care Law. (Jan 2011)
Another establishment Republican. A pretty gross one at that. Things are fukked.

@King Kreole

What's happening, man? Why is this anti-establishment guy packing his cabinet with so many establishment dupes?

DynamoEAR

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Houston/ATL

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/28/us/politics/tom-price-secretary-health-and-human-services.html

WASHINGTON — If President-elect Donald J. Trump wanted a cabinet secretary who could help him dismantle and replace President Obama’s health care law, he could not have found anyone more prepared than Representative Tom Price, who has been studying how to accomplish that goal for more than six years.

Mr. Price, an orthopedic surgeon who represents many of the northern suburbs of Atlanta, speaks with the self-assurance of a doctor about to perform another joint-replacement procedure. He knows the task and will proceed with brisk efficiency.

Mr. Trump has selected Mr. Price, a six-term Republican congressman, to be secretary of health and human services, according to a transition team official.

Also on Monday, Mr. Trump met with David H. Petraeus, the highly decorated but scandal-scarred former military commander, who has emerged as a new contender for secretary of state.

• Voted YES on banning federal health coverage that includes abortion. (May 2011)
  • Voted NO on prohibiting job discrimination based on sexual orientation. (Nov 2007)
  • Voted YES on Constitutionally defining marriage as one-man-one-woman. (Jul 2006)
  • Voted YES on denying non-emergency treatment for lack of Medicare co-pay. (Feb 2006)
Another establishment Republican. A pretty gross one at that. Things are fukked.

@King Kreole

What's happening, man? Why is this anti-establishment guy packing his cabinet with so many establishment dupes?
Human Rights campaign got him at 0%. White gays about to go bezerk at this guy.:huhldup:

King Kreole

natural blondie like goku
Daps

@King Kreole

yeah from what i've read Tom Price is a piece of crap, no spin to be had on this one :francis:

I think Obamacare is fundamentally broken, so I'm not going to shed tears over its repeal. I'll wait to see what their replacement plan looks like, but anything less than universal is probably not gonna work great imo.

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
yeah from what i've read Tom Price is a piece of crap, no spin to be had on this one :francis:

I think Obamacare is fundamentally broken, so I'm not going to shed tears over its repeal. I'll wait to see what their replacement plan looks like, but anything less than universal is probably not gonna work great imo.

:upsetfavre: And you really think this congress will pass universal healthcare?

King Kreole

natural blondie like goku
Daps
:upsetfavre: And you really think this congress will pass universal healthcare?
:heh: hell no, which is why i'm not really stressing this issue right now. The GOP will try their plan, which will invariably fail, and then I think in 4 years if the economy tanks there might be enough political will to push Universal though. Trump entertained the idea in the primaries and the ascendent progressive wing of the Democratic party are for it. It naturally slots in with his populist framework, like his infrastructure plan.