Geforce Now: Stadia killer

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Imagine it: a video game streaming service that lets you log on to the cloud, access games you already own on multiple storefronts (including free-to-play fare), and play them on any Windows, Mac, or Android device. You'd need nothing more than a broadband connection. You'd get snappy, low-latency performance, including tolerable stats on your router's 5Ghz wireless band. And you could access all of this for free.

All of this was what we had hoped to get out of Google Stadia, which arrived in November with promises of a tantalizing "Netflix for games" model. But that streaming service's launch was immediately hobbled with device restrictions, pricing confusion, and a terribly limited (and closed) games library. Instead, the above description comes courtesy of an utter surprise, launching today in both free and paid tiers: Nvidia's GeForce Now.

After a months-long closed beta, GeForce Now opens to the public sometime today (perhaps the moment this article goes live). Download its app on a supported device, then hook up your preferred control method (gamepad, mouse+keyboard) and connect to one of Nvidia's servers. You'll boot into a virtualized Windows PC on the cloud, which then loads one of "hundreds" of supported games as sold by Steam, Epic Games Store, Battle.net, uPlay, the Bethesda Launcher, and Origin. From there, the server's gameplay feed and your button presses go back and forth so that your low-powered device can stream high-end 3D video games.

DOOM 2016 on a low-end Macbook? Tekken 7 on a smartphone? With enough bandwidth, GeForce Now can make it happen, and you can use the game licenses you already own.

The service isn't perfect—with some particularly baffling issues at launch. And I fear that its first-week rush of new free players will lead to networking nightmares and boilerplate replies about Nvidia "being surprised by demand." (If Nvidia's PR team would like, I have 4,000 versions of that sentence littering my games-journalism inbox. You can borrow any of them.) But ahead of today's influx of new players, I was able to confirm enough about peak performance and general usability to confirm a surprising truth: even if Nvidia fumbles the launch with networking woes, GeForce Now is still the new game-streaming service to beat. It's that good.

Guess the graphics master had to come shut the shyt down :wow:
Might try the free tier this evening when I get off.

Full article: RIP Stadia? Nvidia’s newly launched cloud-gaming service is (mostly) a stunner

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
Their in-house streaming has been lag free for me over 5GHz. Miles better than Steam Link or Parsec. I use moonlight on the Pi3 specifically and it's just flawless.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I just tried the free version and it was lagging hard for some reason. Never had this issue with any other streaming service. You can upgrade to the founders edition for $5 that will be charged 90 days later. You can sign up, get in and then cancel and get it for free.

Last edited:

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Tried it out on my work wifi.
shyt is surprisingly good :ehh:
Of course the image quality is not matching local quality, but shyt the fukkin latency is pretty decent and IQ is very passable.
I'm impressed

Might not use it much tho, rarely in a spot where i feel comfortable playing at work

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Works fine on ethernet. I tried at home and it felt perfectly fine but it's pointless to me since If I'm at home my PC can play all those games at way higher fidelity without streaming it. If you have a lower end PC and a 1080P monitor then this is a good compromise until you upgrade.