GATACA (1997) Official Thread

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV

Great film, great acting but ...

If birth inheritance is a genetic lottery and you can customise your children why in gataca were people so invested in having partners with "superior genetics"?

As a navigator Uma could marry whomever she wanted to and then have engineered children.

With her own genetics should her husband die she would still be a catch.

EddyPastarino

Rookie
Daps

Fantastic sci-fi movie. Like many others, I first watched this in high school science class and I've come to really appreciate it as I've gotten older. Vincent's determination to achieve his dream of space travel in a world where "discrimination is down to a science" shows how strong the human spirit is. He just didn't do it himself, he had everyone believe in him. The movie has so much thoughtful dialogue.

" I was never more certain of how far away I was from my goal than when I was standing right beside it."

"No, no. I got the better end of the deal. I only lent you my body. You lent me your dream."

"You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton: I never saved anything for the swim back."

"
For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
Screenshot-2024-06-09-at-20-43-49.png

G A T C :patrice:

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359

Great film, great acting but ...

If birth inheritance is a genetic lottery and you can customise your children why in gataca were people so invested in having partners with "superior genetics"?

As a navigator Uma could marry whomever she wanted to and then have engineered children.

With her own genetics should her husband die she would still be a catch.

Great point. I can only imagine cost and difficulty may be higher the more you change. Since the navigators probably have similar variants, the luck aspect is much narrowe and maybe a surer thing?

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
Great point. I can only imagine cost and difficulty may be higher the more you change. Since the navigators probably have similar variants, the luck aspect is much narrowe and maybe a surer thing?

It's suggested that the use of gene selection is widespread though so can't be that expensive "like most other parents of the day".

She belongs to the elite already so you'd imagine has more money than Ethan's parents.

The only thing I could think of is that there is still some chance left in the gene selection in that

i. you can only select genes that are there* and
ii. there are still some unpredictable factors (hence her heart problem).

If so tho it would not just be the genes that matter per-se but also how likely those particular genes are to be transferred to children (how likely they are to be copied over).

*remember when breh doc said it is still you, just the best of you.

also lamar (doc) at the end said my son is not quite what they promised.

also the flight boss admitted than even the gene kids have various levels.

Picking a good partner meant better odds :ehh: .

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
It's suggested that the use of gene selection is widespread though so can't be that expensive "like most other parents of the day".

She belongs to the elite already so you'd imagine has more money than Ethan's parents.

The only thing I could think of is that there is still some chance left in the gene selection in that

i. you can only select genes that are there* and
ii. there are still some unpredictable factors (hence her heart problem).

If so tho it would not just be the genes that matter per-se but also how likely those particular genes are to be transferred to children (how likely they are to be copied over).

*remember when breh doc said it is still you, just the best of you.

also lamar (doc) at the end said my son is not quite what they promised.

also the flight boss admitted than even the gene kids have various levels.

Picking a good partner meant better odds :ehh: .

If embryo selection rather than base editing is the way it is done you would be correct and partners would matter a lot.