GameTrailers presents Pop Fiction: Did Michael Jackson compose the music to Sonic 3?...

SuikodenII

Where's Suikoden VI??????
Daps

The only show worth watching on their website IMHO :ld:

ChrisDorner

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Hell
Not even gonna sit through it if MJ didn't actually do the music for sonic 3

Can someone tell me wassup

ChrisDorner

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Hell
All I'm getting from this video is they took this nikkas work & didn't give him credit

Red Maverick II

Special A Class Hunter
Daps
Whether they admit it or not, MJ was definitely involved. The rumor is he was dropped / uncredited because of the legal trouble he got into.

Taken from the Sonic 3 Wikia:
It was thought that Sega hired pop sensation Michael Jackson to compose the music in the game, but his work was scrapped. However, the music has some similarities to Jackson's work, as the chip tunes in Sonic 3 were based on music sheets from Jackson. His album Dangerous was released a few years before Sonic 3 and would be the basis for the chiptunes on Sonic 3.

Brad Buxer confirmed that some of Michael Jackson's work is in the game.

Here are some examples:

• Marble Garden Zone: If "Thriller" is played over the zones music, it seems to fit. But really share nothing in common.
  • Carnival Night Zone: One part sounds similar to "Jam". Also Carnival Night's music contains a sample taken from Michael Jackson's "Jam".
  • IceCap Zone: Sounds (only very loosely) like a sped up version of "Who Is It?", with chord progressions similar to those in "Smooth Criminal".
  • Ending Credits: Sounds very similar to "Stranger in Moscow", but this could be a coincidence, as the song wasn't released until 1996. Its been stated though, that Jackson did use this theme as the base for the "Stranger in Moscow".
When Jun Senoue was asked if he knew anything about Michael Jackson's involvement, he said "I don't know anything about that...[laughs] Yes I do, actually." This game marked Senoue's debut on the Sonic series, albeit only as a sound effects designer. Much of the in-game music was handled by a team of musicians supervised by frequent Michael Jackson collaborator Cirocco, although Sega staff composer Howard Drossin ended up finishing the soundtrack after the deal with Jackson broke down. Drossin would subsequently act as the sole composer onSonic & Knuckles.

When fighting the mini-bosses in Sonic 3, just as the song begins, players can hear "Come on!" and during the song, "Woo!" These sound bits were likely taken from the Genesis version of Michael Jackson's Moonwalker, as they can be heard during the game.

Here's the mini-boss theme from just Sonic 3 they talk about:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
basically MJ created tracks but didn't like the quality of how his tracks came out. (including stranger in Moscow and black or white) But let sega use it but just didn't want his name attached to it....However sega got salty and used the child molestation case as a reason as why his worked was pulled.

So basically sonic 3 has MJ's work, he just didn't think it the sound output of the sega was good enough for what he wanted and moved on.

tr2k

All Star
Daps
carnival night sounds like "keep it in the closet"

tr2k

All Star
Daps
marble garden sounds like "Shake Your Body"

Foxy

Wow
Daps
Oh shyt I haven't watched one of this show in a long time. Gonna watch right now.

MaccabeanRebel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The outer limits
Damn..did not know this. That's crazy..makes me like the game even more know. They said some of that shyt was in Sonic & knuckles too if i heard correctly