#GamesSoWhite Hashtag Discusses Diversity In Gaming

ReallJc

Pro
Daps
Reppin
LDN
In the magnificent tradition of the #OscarsSoWhite hashtag, the hashtag#GamesSoWhite has emerged on Twitter to bring the discussion about diversity in video games to the forefront. Here are a couple of gems:

The hashtag gained a lot of its momentum when Tauriq Moosa published a piece on Polygon titled “Colorbind: On Witcher 3, Rust, and Gaming’s Race Problem” which discussed how Rust recently decided to assign avatars, forcing white players to play as people of other races, an act one player called “forced politics.” In response, Moosa points out that people of color are often forced to play as straight white men and notes that Witcher 3, which has received tons of praise, doesn’t feature a single character of color. It’s a thoughtful piece that draws attention to a huge blindspot in video games and calls for thoughtful analysis and dialogue.

Or, well, tries to.

Reactions to the hashtag and article include the classic “I’m not racist, you’re racist,” “But look at these three exceptions,” “That’s how it was in that non-specific time period,” (Moosa discusses why “historically accurate” is a ridiculous defence for lack of diversity in his piece) “Why do I have to identify with someone who doesn’t look like me” and other variations of the same excuses that all just look like one big misinformed blur to me now. In response, Moosa tweeted this:

The hostile reactions to Moosa’s piece ultimately prove his point that video games have a frustrating tendency to erase and further marginalize people of color. The article ends with these final words.

"Games have progressed dramatically — not in terms of graphics, but demographics. With more people from more areas of life being represented, we perhaps are going in the right direction. But when we still have major games made that feature no people of colour, when gamers still refuse games because of characters’ race or gender, it means we aren’t there yet.

We can be. It’s not about changing bigots’ minds — it’s about all of us wanting to improve. And we can start by listening, and ignoring those who claim that simply existing as someone who is non-male and non-white is somehow political."

http://www.themarysue.com/gamessowhite-hashtag-diversity-gaming/

I agree with the hashtag and it's message. They want us to believe different skin tones are too much to ask but $60+ per game isn't. This is also one of the reasons i enjoy games that allow you to create your own character without limitations.

ReallJc

Pro
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Passive Aggressive white folks are mad that someone brought up their privilege and over saturation in... well everything... Lol.. When will folks learn...

Stop asking white people for inclusion!! Make your own shyt!! We need our own games made by black devs, not some bones thrown to black folks.

I definitely get that what you're saying but it's not that easy. For one majority of these major game developers have been around for a long time so it's not like someone can wave a magic wand and suddenly create a large & well established video game company in such a short space of time or even begin making AAA games at the click of a finger, it takes years, resources, a team, money etc.

Also not to forget that consumers play a big role here and let's be real, some gamers won't support a small video game company no matter how good the game looks.

ReallJc

Pro
Daps
Reppin
LDN
This is one of the reasons why i wasn't on the witcher 3 hype train regardless of the praise it received. We're in 2015, there was no excuse for excluding poc and although that's not the only game to do this, it's one of the most recent.

Now although this article below was written in 2011 i think it still holds up today..

http://thegrio.com/2011/11/11/blacks-play-games-but-dont-design-them/

Studies indicate blacks, Hispanics and those in lower socioeconomic groups play, spend more time, and buy more video games than other groups.

Blacks more likely to be game consumers

According to The Kaiser Family Foundation, African American youth between the ages of 8 and 18 play games 30 minutes more per day than white youth, while Hispanics play an average of 10 minutes more.

“Aside from DVR playback, marketers might want to note that African Americans exhibit higher usage levels for watching live TV, DVD playback, and video game usage,” says the 2011 African American Consumer Report.

African Americans are among the biggest consumers of gaming products but are they behind the scenes making the money?

“When I go to video game events such as GDC and E3, I can literally count on my fingers how many blacks I saw that week at the show/conference,” says video game journalist Tyrell Jackson in an online blog. “However when I go to GameStop or any retailer selling video games, there are always blacks of all ages and gender showing interest in video games.”

Lack of diversity extends to characters

A recent study by University of Southern California Professor Dmitri Williams also found an overwhelming lack of diversity in video game characters.

Williams compared the ethnic diversity of 150 games across nine platforms and all ratings. His main findings showed fewer than 3 percent of video game characters were recognizably Hispanic. Native Americans and biracial characters were non-existent. African Americans enjoyed a rate of 10.74 percent, but they were mostly athletes and gangsters.

“I don’t see anything insidious at play,” says Williams. “It’s more direct than that – people make media about their own experience, so the games are a reflection of the game makers, who are not a representative sample of the population.”

Some would argue that while so many African Americans religiously play video games, they cannot see themselves getting into an industry that is predominately white. Others point to institutional bias and inequality of opportunity in the gaming and tech industries.

gta-v-gifs-triple-facepalm.gif

Daps
Reppin
Canada
This is one of the reasons why i wasn't on the witcher 3 hype train regardless of the praise it received. We're in 2015, there was no excuse for excluding poc and although that's not the only game to do this, it's one of the most recent.

Now although this article below was written in 2011 i think it still holds up today..

http://thegrio.com/2011/11/11/blacks-play-games-but-dont-design-them/

Studies indicate blacks, Hispanics and those in lower socioeconomic groups play, spend more time, and buy more video games than other groups.

Blacks more likely to be game consumers

According to The Kaiser Family Foundation, African American youth between the ages of 8 and 18 play games 30 minutes more per day than white youth, while Hispanics play an average of 10 minutes more.

“Aside from DVR playback, marketers might want to note that African Americans exhibit higher usage levels for watching live TV, DVD playback, and video game usage,” says the 2011 African American Consumer Report.

African Americans are among the biggest consumers of gaming products but are they behind the scenes making the money?

“When I go to video game events such as GDC and E3, I can literally count on my fingers how many blacks I saw that week at the show/conference,” says video game journalist Tyrell Jackson in an online blog. “However when I go to GameStop or any retailer selling video games, there are always blacks of all ages and gender showing interest in video games.”

Lack of diversity extends to characters

A recent study by University of Southern California Professor Dmitri Williams also found an overwhelming lack of diversity in video game characters.

Williams compared the ethnic diversity of 150 games across nine platforms and all ratings. His main findings showed fewer than 3 percent of video game characters were recognizably Hispanic. Native Americans and biracial characters were non-existent. African Americans enjoyed a rate of 10.74 percent, but they were mostly athletes and gangsters.

“I don’t see anything insidious at play,” says Williams. “It’s more direct than that – people make media about their own experience, so the games are a reflection of the game makers, who are not a representative sample of the population.”

Some would argue that while so many African Americans religiously play video games, they cannot see themselves getting into an industry that is predominately white. Others point to institutional bias and inequality of opportunity in the gaming and tech industries.

gta-v-gifs-triple-facepalm.gif

There are black people in Witcher 3, just offscreen.

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Zerrikania

Hopefully there's some DLC.

ORDER_66

Demon Time coming 2024
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
In Witcher 3 They mention Zerrikania, plus Ciri mentioned the Tall black people in the other dimension... :francis:

But on the real most game protagonists are white because no white guy wants to have the black guy be the hero.... :mjlol:

Daps
I don't understand the complaint. The Media industry is mostly white people and people with a negative view of blacks, what did you expect?
Also :mjlol: at people salty there's no black people in something like The Witcher. There obviously just gonna end up being the bad guys:what:in a racist stereotypical ass way:russ: seriously pick your battles:mindblown:

Daps
Reppin
Canada
In Witcher 3 They mention Zerrikania, plus Ciri mentioned the Tall black people in the other dimension... :francis:

But on the real most game protagonists are white because no white guy wants to have the black guy be the hero.... :mjlol:

The old woman at bald mountain said
Ciri is not a virgin, so she probably fukked at least one of them.

Daps
Reppin
Canada
I don't understand the complaint. The Media industry mostly white people and people with a negative view of blacks, what did you expect?
Also :mjlol: at people salty there's no black people in something like The Witcher. There obviously just gonna end up being the bad guys:what:in a racist stereotypical ass way:russ: seriously pick your battles:mindblown:

With the way they treat mages, dwarves, even fukking herbalists I don't want any black people in this game.

ORDER_66

Demon Time coming 2024
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
With the way they treat mages, dwarves, even fukking herbalists I don't want any black people in this game.

With the way they persecuted the mages in Witcher 3 had me like...:huhldup::huhldup::huhldup:

I mean if I had a race of people with magic powers that could level a fukking building I wouldnt fukk with them...:sas2:

ReallJc

Pro
Daps
Reppin
LDN
There are black people in Witcher 3, just offscreen.

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Zerrikania

Hopefully there's some DLC.

The old woman at bald mountain said
Ciri is not a virgin, so she probably fukked at least one of them.

In Witcher 3 They mention Zerrikania, plus Ciri mentioned the Tall black people in the other dimension...

As quoted from the wiki.

Zerrikania is not visited in the game, but it is acknowledged as the home for the formulae of bombs, and famous for its alchemists. The descriptions offered suggest that Zerrikania is very much like India. The people of Zerrikania also resemble those of India.

There was no reason why they couldn't include poc in the original game tbh. Skyrim did it.

Daps
Reppin
Canada
Ok they're not black, but Zerrikanians are PoC, it looks like black people are from the other dimension that Ciri went to.

Naijan

All outta Gill
Daps
Reppin
SoCal
Complain but don't do shyt about it, Do they at least find black people that try to make indie games and support them.
Post their shyt on boards to help them out? No just complain to white people like idiots. Do you really think they care about you?