Fuqua wants a Training day TV series

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
EXCLUSIVE: Antoine Fuqua’s Training Day is heading to television. I hear Fuqua has teamed with producer Jerry Bruckheimer for a series adaptation of his popular 2001 feature, which starred Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke. The hot package, from Warner Bros TV, whose sibling Warner Bros. Pictures and Village Roadshow Pictures were behind the movie, is being shopped to the broadcast networks. I hear all of the Big 4 are taking the pitch for the project written by Will Beall.

fuqua.png
I hear it was Fuqua’s idea to do the neo-noir crime thriller as a TV series. He approached WBTV and also brought on board studio-based Jerry Bruckheimer TV and Beall. Fuqua is executive producing and will likely direct the potential pilot, written by Beall, who has feature (Gangster Squad), television (Castle) and police background as a former LAPD detective.

The 2001 feature, written by David Ayer, centered on a rookie LAPD cop (Hawke) who goes on a day-long training course with a rogue detective from narcotics (Washington).

I hear that the series, from WBTV, Fuqua Films and Jerry Bruckheimer TV, would focus on the relationship between the two cops. It would be taking place 15 years after the movie, set in the LAPD of 2015. I also hear that the premise may get a twist, with the rookie cop being black and the corrupt older cop being white.

jerry-bruckheimer__130924182240-200x250__131209185332.jpg
beall.jpg

Fuqua and Beall executive produce with Jerry Bruckheimer TV’s Jerry Bruckheimer and Jonathan Littman. The company’s KristieAnne Reed is co-executive producing.

The 2001 movie was a critical and commercial hit, earning Oscar nominations for both Washington and Hawke, and a win for Washington.

Fuqua’s latest movie, Southpaw, just opened, and he is directing The Magnificent Seven, which co-stars Washington and Hawke. Beall is wrapping up writing two feature projects based on famous characters, Robin Hill and The Legend Of Conan. Fuqua, Beall and Jerry Bruckheimer TV are repped by CAA.

:ld: I don't think it should be on a network tho

Soundbwoy

Accept to take the L
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Montreal
for what Denzel got clapped by Russians that was the end of his chapter :martin:

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Denzel was a huge part of what made the movie so good.

His character was for all intents and purposes, the "bad guy", but he was so charismatic, so charming, so slick, that you'd want Ethan Hawke to stay with/around him.

Without that subtlety, it's just a boy scout and a bad guy riding around, and you could end up just watching it like "Why doesn't dude just get a transfer?"

Whoever they get to play the Denzel role will have some huge as shoes to fill. The character/archetype has been/will be done before, but the magnetism of Denzel in that movie was off the charts.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
@hexagram23 there are three of these can we merge them?

In a competitive situation, with all of the Big 4 networks interested, Training Day, a series adaptation of Antoine Fuqua’s acclaimed 2001 feature, has landed at CBS with a pilot production commitment. The hot project, which was taken out last week, hails from Fuqua, writer Will Beall, Warner Bros. TV and studio-based Jerry Bruckheimer Television.

‘Training Day’ Series From Antoine Fuqua & Jerry Bruckheimer Lands At CBS

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
It's at CBS so it may or may not fit, depending on what Fuqua has in mind
i don't watch CBS :mjpls: but don't they do all the ncis svu shyt? i could see how this fits that style. but network tv won't let it be as grimey.

*super random* shyt made me think of NY Undercover....GOAT cop show