Funko has worst day-one IPO of any company in 17 years, is $320 million dollars in debt

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Toy Maker Funko Had The Worst First-Day Return For An IPO In 17 Years

Funko, the toy maker whose big-headed collectible figures can often be found decorating the offices of animation industry artists, launched a Goldman Sachs/JP Morgan/BofA Merrill Lynch-led IPO last Thursday that went about as poorly as a public offering could possibly go, with some investors labeling it “a disaster.”

In fact, Funko’s IPO offered the worst first-day return for a Wall Street IPO in 17 years, with shares dropping 41% from their initial price of $12 to close at $7.07.

Part of the reason for Funko’s dismal debut may have been lingering questions about its accounting practices, which a Bloomberg columnist called the “latest example of fun-house accounting on Wall Street.”

Funko’s goal is to dominate the global licensed pop culture product industry, sitting within the entertainment and character products market, which generated $113 billion in total sales last year. Funko, for its part, generated $425 million in revenue in 2016, through a catalog of content licenses for over 1,000 properties, many of which are animated IPs.

Funko prides itself on its “fast fashion product development process” that allows it to quickly design, manufacture, and distribute toys to take advantage of pop culture fads. According to Funko’s IPO prospectus:

Our flexible and low-fixed cost production model enables us to go from product design of a figure to the store shelf between 110 and 200 days and can have it on the shelf in as few as 70 days, with a minimal upfront investment for most figures of $5,000 to $7,500 in tooling, molds and internal design costs. Because of the strength of our in-house creative team, we are able to move from product design to pre-selling a new product in as few as 24 hours.

Funko employs 339 people in the United States, and 126 in the U.K. (following its acquisition of London-based Underground Toys). These numbers don’t include the people who actually make the toys at third-party manufacturing vendors in countries like China, Vietnam, and Mexico.

Ice Cold

King of Blades
Daps
How do you lose money by going public :dahell:
We're they profitable before the IPO?
Edit: my wife has like 100 of these I guess she should sell em

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
I didn't realize until recently that they stop producing their POPs after awhile. I tried to get a bunch of horror movie characters (Freddy, Michael, Jason, Leatherface, and Ghostface) only to find that they've been discontinued. :beli:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I didn't realize until recently that they stop producing their POPs after awhile. I tried to get a bunch of horror movie characters (Freddy, Michael, Jason, Leatherface, and Ghostface) only to find that they've been discontinued. :beli:
You can easily find those on ebay and Amazon breh. Unless its super rare or a chase you should't have to pay too much

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
:picard::why:

Man this is like the most over saturated toy the last few years, I see them everywhere in every store and they got the licence for everything and they not handling they money like that?:mindblown:

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
i got mad of these shyts.
me and my son turned this shyt into like some Pokemon gotta catch em all shyt!