Frank Ocean - "Channel Orange" First Week Sales Thread **Ends 7/16/12**

That Singer Guy...

TiMeLeSs Moderator
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Knoxville, Tn
Channel-Orange1.jpeg

Few albums recently have generated as much excitement as the latest from Christopher Breaux. The 24 year-old – who records as Frank Ocean and is a member of highly provocative LA hip hop crew Odd Future – dropped his mixtape, ‘Nostalgia, Ultra’ free online early last year, to foamingly enthusiastic response. It’s no surprise, then, that his ‘official’ debut has everybody so pumped. The anticipation around the July 16 release was upped this morning, when Ocean revealed his sexuality on his Tumblr, in a strikingly honest and poignant post. He was likely to have been driven to make some kind of a statement soon, not because of rumour and speculation (there’s really been none), but because of the gender-specific nature of some of the songs’ lyrics.

We heard ‘Channel Orange’ at a listening session for UK press on Monday. Hype and personal revelation aside, it’s an extraordinary record – forward-thinking, imaginative and properly fresh – that puts most commercial R&B-pop/hip hop in the shade in terms of inventiveness, despite being stuffed full of funk-pop hooks and packing a potential four chart-topping singles. It sets Prince-, Stevie Wonder- and Michael Jackson-styled melodies in soundbeds that recall Kanye, Jay-Z and Flying Lotus, but which streak past them in the post-modernism race, while Ocean’s lyrical concerns range from troubled love to the dark side of teen hedonism and (so it seems) abortion. In between the tracks there are blasts of white noise and chaotic channel-surfing. It’s an ambitious, sophisticated and complex tour de force, but also utterly accessible and immediate.

:ninja1:

concise

Veteran
Daps
Just off the strength of all those twitter followers gained and buzz all over , I think this will do numbers.

MightyHealthy

said what he said
Daps
Reppin
PUROGANG
I'd be amazed if it hits 50K. Tyler had a hell of a lot more buzz for his album, and he only sold 45K.

Frank is even less accessible, and I think his admission will probably hurt more than help him.

If we get the option for sub-50, I'll definitely bet then. Otherwise, everybody's gonna lose :laugh:

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
he aint doing over 100k.. put all my coli cash on dat.

you about to be broke :heh:

I'd be amazed if it hits 50K. Tyler had a hell of a lot more buzz for his album, and he only sold 45K.

Frank is even less accessible, and I think his admission will probably hurt more than help him.

If we get the option for sub-50, I'll definitely bet then. Otherwise, everybody's gonna lose :laugh:

he's selling out shows im pretty sure he's more popular than tyler :heh:, shyt he dont even have album out and has a million followers.

Capitol

Did this work
Daps

There is no way in hell you have ever heard a Tyler song if you are saying someone is less accessible:comeon: