FOSS - Free and Open-Source Software

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Tired of paying with personal information? Just want a more privacy-friendly alternative? This is the thread to talk/share with the class

Last edited:

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Last edited:

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Loop Habit Tracker (Android)
I went to cop a habit tracking app, and the options mostly started @ $7/mo :heh:

Who tryina pay Netflix prices for a habit check-in app? Came across this FOSS alternative that has been great so far. The one downside is that it doesn't sync across devices.

1.thumb.png
2.thumb.png
3.thumb.png

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
Great F-Droid client for Android devices.

For those who may not know, F-Droid houses a repository of open source software for Android devices.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Great F-Droid client for Android devices.

For those who may not know, F-Droid houses a repository of open source software for Android devices.
🤯🤯🤯

Never knew about this. Loaded the apk and played around w/ it a bit. I wish it sorted by popularity as well, but otherwise it's dope AF

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Been playing around w/ F-Droid (thanks again @Rice N Beans) and came across a news app that I like:

Thud.
Their catchphrase is 'News w/o the fuss'. The UI is clean AF. Very minimalist vibes.
N5By6Ej.png
The best way to describe it is a news aggregator that feels like an RSS aggregator but with a better UI and pre-selected (albeit extensive) news feeds.

It takes some time to setup, and doesn't have true RSS functionality just yet, but it has a list of tons of news sources (including subreddits), and you can create/curate different categories. I have created tabs on Local/Global news, financial markets, Tech & AI for example. I also like that they provide multiple links if you subscribe to a Google News 'feed' if that story has multiple options of articles to read.

There could be some UI improvements imo. I'd prefer more options on how to display content rather than the default left-to-right scroll scraping pictures form the article

I copped it from F-Droid, but there's also a mirror on Google Play Store.

Last edited:

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Lemmy is OK, but Kbin.social has better instances I've found. Less downtime/errors and a cleaner UI. The downside is that it doesn't have any mobile apps or PWAs available, but they are building it out

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Anyone have an opinion on Facebook (aka Meta) joining the fediverse?

Just see that my Mastodon instance put out an official statement and are contemplating defederating if anything funky starts happening.

There is a bit of an irony for the FOSS community that the thing that might propel growth is also an anti-FOSS company, and that anyone who joins via Meta's instance will likely be silo'd from other communities, which is part of the appeal of the fediverse

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
NewPipe - youtube alternative
Tachiyomi - manga reader
Mull - Firefox based browser with more security/privacy

Infinity - Reddit client
Quackery - twitter client

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
It also allows you to firewall internet access on any app.

If you don't mind playing around w/ the settings, you can use it on system apps as well. I use it on all my mobile devices to try and limit the amount of data that is shared externally