Former Patriot and Chief Olineman comes out the closet

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
Dude made a pact to murk himself after he retired :damn::merchant:
Ryan O’Callaghan’s plan was always to play football and then, when his career was over, kill himself.

Growing up in Redding, Calif., he didn’t see any other option. From a deep red corner of a blue state, the conflicted young man had decided in high school that he would never — could never — live as a gay man. While the 6-foot-7, 330-pound offensive tackle didn’t fit any of the gay stereotypes, he decided shortly after coming out to himself in junior high school that he could never let anyone else in on his darkest secret.
O’Callaghan decided early on that he would hide behind football. The sport would be his "beard," and the jersey on his back would throw off the scent and keep his secret hidden for over a dozen years on a journey that saw him playing college ball at the University of California and in the NFL with the New England Patriots and Kansas City Chiefs.

He spent his time in football preparing for his suicide, yet thanks to a small group of people within the Chiefs organization he ultimately found the will to live as the real Ryan O’Callaghan.

He agreed to play during his freshman year mostly because that’s what his friends did. His childhood friendships meant the world to him at the time, and following his junior high friends into high school football seemed to make a lot of sense.
O’Callaghan learned very quickly that football was the best place in the world for a gay teenager to hide. The brute, physical nature of the sport went against every stereotype of gay men he knew. At his size, few people would suspect he was gay, and if he was a football player on top of that, he felt his secret would be buried.

"No one is going to assume the big football player is gay," he said. "It’s why a football team is such a good place to hide.

So he dove into football and made a pact with himself: As long as he put on those pads, he was good to go. Once football was over, he’d take a gun to his head and end it all. That was the deal, and he would hold himself to it.
In four years at Cal, O’Callaghan had gone from being a big fish in the small pond of Redding to being an NFL prospect. Blocking for Aaron Rodgers, whom O’Callaghan had known in high school and with whom he became close friends at Cal, grabbed him the attention of pro teams always looking to protect their franchise quarterbacks in a league that increasingly relied on the passing game.

For O’Callaghan, the accolades and NFL attention held off his plans of suicide for a few more years.

"In high school, football turned into a way to go to college," he explained. "In college football was a great cover for being gay. And then I saw the NFL mainly as a way to keep hiding my sexuality and stay alive."
Played at Cal with AGawd :sas2:
"The injuries created so much down time, and that’s when my mind went into overdrive."

For the first time since realizing he was gay, he had no playbook to study, no practice to attend, no game to prepare for. His darkest thoughts crept into the void.

O’Callaghan’s lifelong plan came into full focus. Without football to protect him, he suddenly felt vulnerable to questions about his sexual orientation. He had decided many years ago that he would never — could never — live life as an openly gay man. With his beard being yanked away from him by injuries, he felt exposed and he had to do something about it.

He started with pain killers.
As his last act, he distanced himself from all of his family and friends. Still caring for them, he felt that if he simply pushed everyone away it would be easier for them to accept his suicide than if he had stayed in close contact. Through his college and NFL career he had talked to his mother "every day or at least every other day." Suddenly, as he prepared for his suicide, that all stopped.

"There was a point of time where I didn’t talk to my family for months," he said, shaking his head with regret, "I stopped talking to a lot of friends."

While methodically sabotaging his own life, O’Callaghan was going to physical therapy at the Chiefs facility. He still clung to a small glimmer of hope that he might have one more season in the league. There the team’s head trainer, David Price, noticed O’Callaghan was not himself, suddenly acting erratically.

Price encouraged O’Callaghan to spend some time with Susan Wilson, a woman who worked with the Chiefs and the NFL counseling players on drug abuse.

"David saw the pain pills as the problem, and they were," O’Callaghan explained. "But the real problem was why I was abusing them. And it wasn’t just the injuries."

It took Wilson only two visits with her new patient to figure out that the physical pain was not the only issue driving O’Callaghan to pain killers and contemplating suicide. That suicidal talk, Wilson recognized early on, was not just talk. She realized the threat to his safety was not imminent, or she would have checked him into a hospital. But the threat was very real and lingered on the horizon.

Wilson racked her brain to piece together clues. O’Callaghan’s sexual orientation crossed her mind as a possibility.
"Not because of any way he behaved," Wilson explained. "Ryan is one of those people who, if you look at them, would never draw suspicion. But as a practicing psychologist, your mind goes through the list of things that drive people to consider suicide, and that was one of them."

Plus, she had counseled gay NFL players before. The concept was not foreign to her.

Knowing she could not legally reveal to anyone, including the Chiefs, what they were talking about helped O’Callaghan slowly open up to her. Months and countless hours of conversation after their first meeting, Wilson became the first person to whom he confided he was gay.
those the good parts.
Former NFL tackle Ryan O’Callaghan comes out as gay

Let's hope that fakkit @AVXL don't harm himself if he ever loses internet connection. There's always hope. Open up and be yourself we won't judge you breh

Frump

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He'll have to answer to god in the afterlife for his abomination :yeshrug:

Freddie.Cane

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
305 Canes, Dolphins, and Heat
506.jpg

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is my one problem with this gay agenda.

They spend so much time telling the world that their lives and sexual preferences are no big deal and nobody's business and yet stay being part of these stories that highlight their gayness as some sort of triumph or bravery.