For the Martial Arts Posters Here, Who Trains With Weapons?

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
Wants weapons do you train with and how long have you been at it? Are you proficient or still likely to hit yourself in the head?

I'm not trying to become some deadly assassin I just want to spin some swords and sais for the hell of it.

I ordered both off Amazon the other day and been messing around with them. I've checked out some YouTube vids and seen kids spinning them like it was nothing.

For now I'm just making sure I don't hit myself in the damn face

BaldingSoHard

Veteran
Daps
I am a master-level with a pair of nunchaku. Been doing it since I was... I dunno 9 (I'm in my 30's now). I'm easily better than anyone you've ever seen in any movie, except that armored freak at the end of Sidekicks. I teach a weapons class at a local dojo on Saturdays.
Tried to get into sai daggers at around age 11... but it just felt unnatural, not like an extension of my hand. Gave it up but still have the sais.

PlainSight

Anon
Daps
Reppin
UK
I'd rather train with a gun than a sword :francis:
Dat Gun-Fu :russ:

I'm not a martial artist, but I wouldn't mind learning at one of them JKD-Kali-Silat blend classes so I can learn non-weapon and weapon-based stuff. Eskrima is something I will definitely start learning soon. Just need to decide on which empty-hand art to learn it with.

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
Dat Gun-Fu :russ:

I'm not a martial artist, but I wouldn't mind learning at one of them JKD-Kali-Silat blend classes so I can learn non-weapon and weapon-based stuff. Eskrima is something I will definitely start learning soon. Just need to decide on which empty-hand art to learn it with.
I have to go google that stuff. Haven't heard of anything but JKD. I've always wanted to learn a martial art, not to whoop ass but just because it always looked fun.

PlainSight

Anon
Daps
Reppin
UK
I have to go google that stuff. Haven't heard of anything but JKD. I've always wanted to learn a martial art, not to whoop ass but just because it always looked fun.
Jeet Kune Do is Bruce Lee's Martial Arts Philosophy. There's a core body of work to learn called Jun Fan Gung Fu which is basically a modified Wing Chun mixed with influences from other stuff. When he became a film star he discontinued teaching at that time - since his death, some of his students have gone onto teach and some of them branched off into other directions in lieu of the philosophy itself.

I've wanted to learn for a long time, I'd like to learn tricking as well (kinda like Parkour stuff) to complement it. My ultimate dream's to be a polymath and part of that is also realizing physical potential as well as mental.