Florida sending police to homes of people who signed petitions to get abortion on the ballot to question them about "Election Fraud"

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
Test driving their gestapo tactics already.

Isaac Menasche remembers being at the Cape Coral farmer’s market last year when someone asked him if he’d sign a petition to get Florida’s abortion amendment on the ballot.

He said yes — and he told a law enforcement officer as much when one showed up at the door of his Lee County home earlier this week.

Menasche said he was surprised when the plainclothes officer twice asked if it was really Menasche who had signed the petition. The officer said he was looking into potential petition fraud.

Though the officer was professional and courteous, Menasche, who has had little interaction with police in his life, said the encounter left him shaken.

“I’m not a person who is going out there protesting for abortion,” Menasche said. “I just felt strongly and I took the opportunity when the person asked me, to say yeah, I’ll sign that petition.”

The officer’s visit appears to be part of a broad — and unusual — effort by Gov. Ron DeSantis’ administration to inspect thousands of already verified and validated petitions for Amendment 4 in the final two months before Election Day. The amendment would overturn Florida’s six-week abortion ban by proposing to protect abortion access in Florida until viability.

Since last week, DeSantis’ secretary of state has ordered elections supervisors in at least four counties to send to Tallahassee at least 36,000 petition forms already deemed to have been signed by real people. Since the Times first reported on this effort, Alachua and Broward counties have confirmed they also received requests from the state.

Menasche later posted on Facebook that it was “obvious to me that a significant effort was exerted to determine if indeed I had signed the petition.” He told the Times that the officer who showed up at his door had a copy of Menasche’s driver’s license and other documents related to him. Menasche said he does not recall which agency the officer was with.

Department of State spokesperson Ryan Ash said the agency has “uncovered evidence of illegal conduct with fraudulent petitions.”

“We have a duty to seek justice for Florida citizens who were victimized by fraud and safeguard the integrity of Florida’s elections,” Ash wrote in an email. “Our office will continue this investigation and make referrals to (the Florida Department of Law Enforcement) as appropriate.”

Richard Glidewell

Superstar
Daps
Just tell them to kick rocks........I wouldn't even have answered the door..........contact my representative if you need an answer

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
Florida was a solid red state for a while. Latest polls show that it's closer to being purple. Check out the senate.

This maga shyt is broadly unpopular. If people vote in the midterms to boot out DeSantis, Florida could be blue and they could undo this bullshyt, access federal funds to improve schools and infrastructure and then secure a second win at the next election based off the gains made while whomever was in office.

Roger king

Superstar
Daps
This is straight up gestapo tactics and fascism regardless of your views on the issues, in a democracy people vote and decide on policy and that should be without fear or favour, desantis is pure evil , white supremacist filthy racist, his whole shtick when he was running for president was to insult black people and tell everyone slavery was a good thing to black people and they got ''skills'', you couldnt pay me enough money to live in that fascist hellhole called florida