Flat bench vs weighted dips

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Starting this week I'm going to a 2 day per week fullbody split. And on the first day I am definetly gonna do incline bench. But on my 2nd I don't know if I should do flat bench or weighted dips. :patrice:

Obviously dips are a more functional movement but it's harder to make sure I'm working my chest more then my triceps compared to benching. Of course I can superset bw dips in my pulls like chin ups and rows.

So what do you guys think would be better for my 2nd day if I want to focus more on the chest flat bench or weighted dips?

selectorZen

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
If youre only doing 2 day per week you can handle and def should do another heavy bench day. You should do heavy bench for 5 sets and finish off with some dips. Add in close grip bench press on set 5 of your bench for some tricep work.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
If youre only doing 2 day per week you can handle and def should do another heavy bench day. You should do heavy bench for 5 sets and finish off with some dips. Add in close grip bench press on set 5 of your bench for some tricep work.

Makes sense. I tested out doing incline and dips as my main chest lifts during last semester and it just didn't feel enough. Obviously since I'm doing full body I be smart on working out efficiently.

selectorZen

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Makes sense. I tested out doing incline and dips as my main chest lifts during last semester and it just didn't feel enough. Obviously since I'm doing full body I be smart on working out efficiently.
Regardless of what you do, incline or flat, just make sure you are doing enough working set volume. Thats means if you warm up with 135, that set doesnt count. You should have 5 sets after that of heavy weight at 3-5 reps if you want to build strength and size. If you are trying to lose weight but keep muscle then increase reps to like 8-10. Do dips after you are done and try weighted dips with a free weight between your feet.