FIU professor conducts 'Teach the Truth' tours in Florida to show the state's Black history

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high

'Teach the Truth' tours in Florida explore the state's Black past

MSNBC​

Mar 27, 2023

NBC News' Trymaine Lee how one Florida educator is fighting back against Gov. Ron DeSantis' Stop WOKE bill and changes to the state's education qualifications are leaving out large parts of the Florida's Black history

Shout out to my alma mater

WTFisWallace?

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
Read the organizer’s, Marvin Dunn, book “Black Miami” early last year I think.

A lot of the book was (unfortunately, to me) written in a ‘matter of fact, trivia, this this and this happened’ type of way, probably due to him incorporating his students in writing the book. But definitely a book worth recommending for the South Florida brehs.

a few of the things that surprised me in the book were 1) Hialeah once being an area where black business was doing well…but white forced the blacks to sell. And now Hiaheah is dominanted by (“white”) Cubans. Black business being forced out shouldn’t be surprising to brehs…but if you you know how Hialeah is now….where Spanish is the official

2) how the Pork n Beans originally came to be and how it was supposed to be a success for the President. The depiction of the og layout and the description some of other projects and slumlords was interesting as well.

3) explaining how people like Bethune and some of the other og “upper” class black folk really trying put on for all of black people. Knowing all that shyt, just makes me more irked when people say og Black Americans need to move like the Jews, Cubans, etc or that og Black Americans never build for themselves.

When in reality they do and have….it’s just that no other group is playing the same game as og Black Americans. The yts and government are on some seek and destroy type shyt when og Black Americans are doing their own thing and building.

4) with that said, the book lays out how dirty og Black Americans got done in regards to government paying, assisting, and setting up Cubans (and to a lesser degree other immigrants). The numbers he broke down in terms of business loans, grants, welfare was astonishing. Like we already know what time it is….but to see even some of the numbers is damning/frustrating.

Side note: the reporters/journalist, Lee, sounds EXACTLY like Marc Lamont Hill.