First Ryse review

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
They broke embargo so it probably won't be up for too long

http://www.3news.co.nz/Ryse-Son-of-Rome-review/tabid/418/articleID/322143/Default.aspx#.UozXkPaX60e

4/5

I've played a fair few next-gen titles now and while Killzone: Shadowfall and Forza 5 are impressive, there's something about the facial and body animations in Ryse that consistently thrill me. That they're applied to such a cool game is jolly good luck, too.

An ultraviolent third-person hack 'n' slash, Ryse: Son of Rome puts you in the shoes of Marius Titus as he carries out conquests against barbarians for the Roman Empire, driven by the vengeful rage he feels for his slain family.

The story is surprisingly good for a game so hell-bent on being as military and bloodthirsty as this is. Ryse is a game so masculine and hardcore, playing it is akin to watching the battle sequences of 300, Gladiator and Spartacus edited to music by Amon Amarth and Manowar.

Gameplay is almost entirely confined to hacking & slashing enemies with Marius' sword, and bashing them with his shield, knee and foot. You have two attack buttons, each of which can be held to perform a heavy attack, along with a roll away button and a defend button.

What the combat system relies on, rather than complexity, is timing. Getting the timing right on parrying an enemy blow, then the combination in which you strike back, and the precise timing of each of those strikes, is what Ryse is all about. It's a very tight focus for gameplay, but I found it to be highly satisfying. Its simplicity is a big part of why it works.

Once an enemy's health is worked down enough, an execution can be performed. That's when the real fun starts. There's well over 100 brutal kill animations in Ryse and they're a constant thrill to watch.

Ryse: Son of Rome may be rough around the edges, but I enjoyed the heck out of it. Taking the mighty power of the Xbox One console and focusing it all into one man's blood-drenched quest with his trusty sword and shield is commendable, and I hope dearly to see a more polished, improved sequel.

Four stars.

:banderas:

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
LOL it's funny how I can tell what kind of review its gonna be based on who posts them. I knew the reviewer must have given it a 4 or 5 as soon as I saw the thread title. Regardless, that does sound good. We'll see what the consensus is in a day or two.

Last edited:

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
LOL it's funny how I can tell what kind of review its gonna be based on who posts them. I knew the reviewer must have given it a 4 or 5 as soon as I saw the thread title. Regardless, that does sound good. We'll see what the consensus is in a day or two.

Scores for this is going to be all over the place, us Xbox fans will gravitate to positives, people looking to tear this game down with inevitably look at the bad scores. Combat looks slow, I don't know if it is slow and methodical or just slow. I've liked what I've seen and I'm a sucker for a good story.

ItWasWritten

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Scriptures

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I mean breaking the embargo. This is a nobody site that wants hits.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

there's been plenty of examples of dummies fukking up embargos for whatever reason. it's usually just confusion over the time or date

edit: and 3news seems pretty legit. although not a gaming site, they don't seem like the kind of site that would purposely break an embargo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_News

Rico

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If this game gets more positive scores and is actually good I'd like some fries with my McCrow with extra salt.

Regardless of the game though... you already ordered that McCrow right? I haven't seen all the reviews but it looked like hardware-wise xbox was scoring higher.

Snitchin Splatter

Working With The Feds
Daps
Reppin
Confidential Informants

Kodie

Pro
Daps
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

there's been plenty of examples of dummies fukking up embargos for whatever reason. it's usually just confusion over the time or date
I hate Hanlon's Razor. Not because it's false. But because I like to blame things on malice :shaq: