Finishing a series early and getting extra rest vs. going through a grueling series.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Have we ever seen these factors determine what happens in the next series.

I cant think of any instance off the top of my head.

I think its just sports cliche.

FYI, Im only talking about the NBA.

dabestkeptsecret

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
jerz
i think it depends. For a young team I think them going through a grueling series will make them better for the next round, or even the next year; similar to what happened with the thunder. A quick sweep def helps the old :flabbynsick: teams like the mavs last year

Bilz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Have we ever seen these factors determine what happens in the next series.

I cant think of any instance off the top of my head.

I think its just sports cliche.

FYI, Im only talking about the NBA.

I agree. If the Spurs win in round 2, some people will say it's because of all of the rest they got. If they lose, some people will say the rest made them rusty. It could have some effect but it's really just pure conjecture.

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
The narrative associated with it depends entirely on what happens in the next round.

If you have a week off and come out and lose the first game...the rest hurt and you were rusty.
If you have a week off and come out and kill...then the rest was great.

It's all bullshyt and easily one the most annoying things in sports.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
i think it depends. For a young team I think them going through a grueling series will make them better for the next round, or even the next year; similar to what happened with the thunder. A quick sweep def helps the old :flabbynsick: teams like the mavs last year

/thread

This is why Orlando w/o Dwight was a great first round matchup for the Pacers. The Magic can't beat them, but they're a veteran team and push them in each game and get them more ready for Miami in round two.

Hollywood Co

Primetime Reppin
Daps
Reppin
Eastside Atl -
I think it has some validity but it varies case to case.

Chuck pointed out tonight that Lebron was probably tired in the finals last year because he had been guarding D. Rose for six games the series before. maybe true maybe not.

Its something to think about but its basically all speculation.

Bilz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I think it has some validity but it varies case to case.

Chuck pointed out tonight that Lebron was probably tired in the finals last year because he had been guarding D. Rose for six games the series before. maybe true maybe not.

Its something to think about but its basically all speculation.

But like me and HHR said, if the Heat had beat the Bulls in 4, Charles would probably say that their time off killed them and they were rusty. For some reason it's more fun for analysts to talk about stuff like this instead of the real story, that one team simply outplayed the other.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
More important for older teams I'd say.

I think back in the days Jordan said something like Finals were somewhat less of a challenge because the playoffs in the East were grueling physical series. No wonder he had crazy numbers against Portland or Phoenix after battling Detroit, New York. most competition the Bulls ever encoutered were in the East IMO (including Indiana with that Game 7). Situation was a little different for the second three-peat going against Payton and then the Jazz.

GoddamnyamanProf

Countdown to Armageddon
Daps
Its funny because this year even the "long, grueling series" provides players with more rest and rehab between games than the actual regular season did.

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
this year, rest could be good for teams the playoffs are the first time some teams practiced since early march.