Filed a petition to change my name to an African one. AMA

TheKongoEmpire

A Wilsonian Garveyite
Daps
Reppin
The Original Man and the First Gods
As some of you brothers and sisters know, I just came from The Continent last year after being there for almost a year and a half. I would like to think of myself as a conscious and pro black brother but I understand that certain steps have to be taken in order to be seen as legit.

I will be changing my name from a European name to an African name. This Wednesday, I'll be going to the sheriff's office to complete my fingerprinting for the background check. After that I will then be given a court date to attend a hearing.

By the end of the year everything should be complete and certified. I know I'm in the lions den trying to be serious but I think it would behoove me to show people that and this is not a lifestyle that you can turn on and turn off at your convenience. All that being said, what say y'all?

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
maxresdefault.jpg

H6lv.gif

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
As some of you brothers and sisters know, I just came from The Continent last year after being there for almost a year and a half. I would like to think of myself as a conscious and pro black brother but I understand that certain steps have to be taken in order to be seen as legit.

I will be changing my name from a European name to an African name. This Wednesday, I'll be going to the sheriff's office to complete my fingerprinting for the background check. After that I will then be given a court date to attend a hearing.

By the end of the year everything should be complete and certified. I know I'm in the lions den trying to be serious but I think it would behoove me to show people that and this is not a lifestyle that you can turn on and turn off at your convenience. All that being said, what say y'all?
Love your life breh

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I appreciate it, brother. It makes me feel like I'm doing something right. I feel it's redundant to have to explain to black people why I'm doing so.
You don’t owe anyone an explanation for how you live your life

TheKongoEmpire

A Wilsonian Garveyite
Daps
Reppin
You don’t owe anyone an explanation for how you live your life
Understood but I think it needs to be showed that true liberation starts from within and the culture. We have artists who name themselves after other CAC who you clearly racist or at least didn't give a fucc about black people eg Italian mobsters. We have to have a low self-esteem to name ourselves after them and to continue name our children as well.

I want to show how much I respect my culture, regardless of the past and prove I'm a man of principle.

idonttouchgrass

Superstar
Daps
what Kind of African name, and is that selection random?

are you going to learn the language of the culture you choose as well?

TheKongoEmpire

A Wilsonian Garveyite
Daps
Reppin
No offense op but I can't support this move. You're not an African.
8t9myvteynk71.jpg

Niche, you got me fucced up. :dahell:
what Kind of African name, and is that selection random?

are you going to learn the language of the culture you choose as well?
Since we in the Diaspora are comprised my multiple ethic groups and tribe, I thought my name should reflect that—a true Pan-Afrikan name, if you will. I wanted to honor our heroes and show reverence so I chose the name you see in the photos above.