Fighting Game Players Assemble

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
What do you guys think about the current state of fighting games? I think that given the number of games we have now and the way fighting games have started to make a splash in e-sports (though not on the level of some of those games like Dota), it's a great time to be a fighting game player. Not to mention, some fighting game franchises like Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat are some of the biggest in gaming, period.

There's a lot of great games out there right now: SF5AE, MKX, Dragonball Fighterz just to name a few.

Also....what fighting games have you played historically? Which characters have you picked? What games are you playing right now and what players/teams are you using? What kind of player are you? Zoner? Keep away? Rush down?

Just thought I'd make a general thread to get some opinions and diversity in experiences.

Right now, I am focused on 2 fighting games:

MKX
Main: Grandmaster Sub Zero
Back-up: Mystic Ermac

Dragonball Fighterz
Main: Yamcha, Super Saiyan Vegeta, Freiza

I'm historically a Mortal Kombat kinda guy. Played it since MKII even when I was very young. First game I played somewhat competitively was MK9 (2011).

Historically, have played the following games with a dedicated main character(s) in mind:

Mortal Kombat II
Main: Baraka
Back-up: Reptile

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Main: Sub Zero

Mortal Kombat Armageddon
Back-up: Nightwolf

Mortal Kombat 9
Back-up: Sektor

Injustice: Gods Among Us
Main: Sinestro

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Main: Super Skrull, Sentinel, Akuma

Tekken 6
Main: Bruce

Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Main: Bruce, Heihachi

I played a lot of Street Fighter when I was young but never latched onto it. I will buy SF5 Arcade Edition soon given it has lowered in price, maybe I'll finally get into the series. Waiting for Sagat though because I will main him.

I've dabbled with other games too like Skullgirls and King of Fighters.

I generally prefer to play a zoning or even keep away style. If a character is lame and projectile-heavy, I'll pick em.

But Sub Zero is more a zoner, patient player and once he has you in the corner, you're fukked.