"Failure To Launch", 2006 romantic comedy with Matthew McConaughey

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
I just finished watching Failure to Launch for the first time, and the last time.

Failure_to_Launch.jpg

The plot (from wiki)

Tripp (Matthew McConaughey), a 35-year-old man, is still living with his parents Al (Terry Bradshaw) and Sue (Kathy Bates), in New Orleans. Tripp's best friends Demo (Bradley Cooper) and Ace (Justin Bartha) are also still living in their parents' homes and seem proud of it. Al and Sue are fascinated when their friends, whose adult son recently moved away from home, reveal that they hired an expert to arrange the matter.

The expert is Paula (Sarah Jessica Parker)

junrB0q.gif

For the most part the cast is good, in terms of what they can do. In addition to the cast above Zooey Deschanel plays Kit, who is Paula's best friend, Patton Oswalt as Techie Guy and Rob Corddry as Gun Salesman.

The problems start with the names of the group of friends. Tripp, Demo and Ace are ok (nick)names but having the entire group with those names you can't help but hate them. I know that was the plan but still. The premise is terrible because it paints the parents is terrible light. Not once are they shown trying to get him to move, they just hire Paula to date Tripp and that will somehow get him to move out. It isn't explained well because when Tripp suggest him and Paula live together she does a spittake so the plan is to date him and get him to move out but not in with you. The inner time of the movie is 2-3 weeks but their relationship seems to be on a level of 6 months because they go on strange dates given its only their 3rd or 4th.

Tripp is a boatsalesmen and the movie has a strange metaphor about owning boats being like dating/being in a relationship. If you own it you've to take care of it but Tripp just wants to have fun so he borrows (steals) boats for a short time. Animals play a major part of the two biggest stories. Everywhere Tripp goes animals (chipmunk, lizard, dolphin and more) randomally attack him. Demo claims it happens because Tripp is going against nature by being a dikk to females. AND HE'S RIGHT. The movie ends with Tripp being kissed by a dolphin.

The other big story is Kit being sleepless because of a bird. She wants to kill a mockingbird (yes), she and Ace almost do. Ace gives it CPR. It works. Kit and Ace fall in love and become bird watchers. This is given at least 15 mins of screentime.

For some reason the movie tries to tell the viewers that Justin Bartha and Zooey Deschanel are ugly. Justin Bartha is literally called a troll because of his looks and Zooey is slammed with "nobody wants to sleep with you more then once" because she's ugly.
MV5BMTQwOTk4NTk0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODEyNjA1Mw@@._V1_UY317_CR11,0,214,317_AL_.jpg
Zooey-Deschanel-ART_0.jpg

The love story doesn't add up and SJP and MM have zero chemistry. I can't even remember how they got back together. in the endi, I just remember them on a boat after their friends locking them in a room with 20 webcams and mic's.

zRzpAM2.gif

and yes, this gif is from the movie.

2 out of 10.

yuck.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
Matthew wasted his whole career making romantic comedies.

Nah, think about everything he was in in teh 90s. He started doing teh romcoms later. He can complain about it , but he made a lot of money off those movies. Once youre paid you can start doing other stuff.

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
Justin Bartha & Zooey made the movie for me. I watch it for them & Kathy Bates & Terry Bradshaw were some cool parents. I saw this movie like 2 weeks after seeing the Hangover and was like :krs: it's Doug!!! It's corny & im not much of a fan of Sarah Jessica Parker but I also think of this

Edit: I forgot Bradley Cooper was in it as well

I found humor in him getting attacked by a squirrel; but after watching the clip it was a chipmunk. :manny:

4.5/10 :pachaha:on the the coli film room rating scale.

Which rounds it to a :skip: for corny white people humor.

Last edited: