Facebook Launching Dedicated Gaming Streaming App to Take on YouTube/Twitch

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Question is who they're gonna pay to move over there. Maybe the numbers are good, but I can only figure Mixer lost out on that Ninja deal considering he's literally the only name I know :russ:

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
Facebook launches a dedicated gaming app to take on Twitch and YouTube

@Stir Fry
@The_Sheff

They'll start with gaming, and then it'll expand to other things...

*cough cough*
Live Stream Producer Battles and everything else

That's fine but what's this have to do with the tools verzuz had on hand at the time and will these battles still pull in 400k+ engaged viewers? All of us would love better quality, I don't get why a few of you are being so defensive when we're just stating that right now, IG is the most functionally viable option at this time for what they were trying to accomplish with these events.

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Question is who they're gonna pay to move over there. Maybe the numbers are good, but I can only figure Mixer lost out on that Ninja deal considering he's literally the only name I know :russ:
I don't think this is going to do anything to Twitch's streaming dominance in the gaming space. I do see how it can do well for content creators in general tho. There are a lot of streams in Twitch that don't have anything to do with gaming. And for that demographic/viewership, this Facebook option can be huge.

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
That's fine but what's this have to do with the tools verzuz had on hand at the time and will these battles still pull in 400k+ engaged viewers? All of us would love better quality, I don't get why a few of you are being so defensive when we're just stating that right now, IG is the most functionally viable option at this time for what they were trying to accomplish with these events.
My stance has always been that the verzuz/IG concept is a great start...

They made the live producer battle a hot line, but with improvements (which I knew was only a matter of time) it will be a hot song.

COVID-19 is going to change people's experiences across the board IMO. People are just seeing IG Live battles, but I'm seeing future virtual parties with VR capabilities built for it, all of the main tech companies that are players in social media (IG, Facebook, Youtube, Twitch/Amazon, Microsoft) all have a ton of money in augmented and virtual reality.

If Swizz and Timbaland put the battles on Facebook, people would show up in droves, they already have the influence to make people tune in.

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I saw this too. I think it’s a smart move and will be widely successful. I follow a few Facebook streamers and the Facebook integration and community features destroys what YouTube is doing for gaming.
There seems to always be a disconnect with Google's products and how they market them. You would think with how big Youtube is, they would be able to attract more streamers and live content.

We know Facebook will promote this like hell tho, so we shall see.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
There seems to always be a disconnect with Google's products and how they market them. You would think with how big Youtube is, they would be able to attract more streamers and live content.

We know Facebook will promote this like hell tho, so we shall see.
The community aspect on YouTube is trash and that’s what I feel is holding them back from being the one and only streaming platform for content creators. I’m not gonna jump out the window all the way yet, but I’m keeping my eye on Facebook gaming because I see the potential for it to really dominate.

Romell

Superstar
Daps
They've already been paying a number of youtubers and Twitchers to move over there. LevelCap and TrueVanguard(Destiny player) were already exclusive to facebook in the recent years. So instead of going after big names, they've been snatching up big creators in sub-genres. I bet they'll start going after big names now that its a whole dedicated platform now.

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The community aspect on YouTube is trash and that’s what I feel is holding them back from being the one and only streaming platform for content creators. I’m not gonna jump out the window all the way yet, but I’m keeping my eye on Facebook gaming because I see the potential for it to really dominate.

Definitely where I see Facebook having an advantage and where I can see this new streaming push by them taking off. I'm thinking about the arts, walkthroughs for design, live cooking, drawing, sooooo many of what are niche streams on Twitch can be big on Facebook because of the social aspect and the base of people that use it.