Every time I do crunches or sit-ups I immediately get stomach cramps, what can I do to stop this?

Mandarin Duck

Majestic and Highfalutin
Daps
Reppin
Ponds
I swear I can do any cardio for as long as I want, but whenever I decide to solely work on my core with sit-ups or crunches I get stomach cramps after about 10. Is there another workout I can do to slowly develop my core into being comfortable with doing sits-up and crunches or is there another workout that can workout my core?

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
I swear I can do any cardio for as long as I want, but whenever I decide to solely work on my core with sit-ups or crunches I get stomach cramps after about 10. Is there another workout I can do to slowly develop my core into being comfortable with doing sits-up and crunches or is there another workout that can workout my core?
Planks

Another Man

Trappin w/ Benzino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Red Roof Inn
1. Keep building, your core is cramping up because it's being subjected to shock it isn't conditioned to.
2. Drink more water.
3. Either eat more potassium or take daily supplements.
4. Add variety to your core workouts. Crunches only work certain parts of your abs, I do various versions of crunches, planks, russian twists, bicycle kicks(opposite knees to opposite elbows), flutter kicks and leg lifts. fukk situps though, they're a waste of energy and you basically would work your ab more doing crunches anyways because it keeps your body in that range of motion in which your abs would be getting the most work. I either keep my feet suspended a few inches off the ground with my hands behind my head and bust em out, or have my feet on the floor with both arms reaching up and out with my hands on top of each other, basically between my knees but a bit higher and do em, or do what I just mentioned but instead of your feet sitting normally on the floor, I put my knees apart kinda like a butterfly with my feet together, then lay back, and reach my arms out and do the crunches. You work more muscle groups this way, trust me....and you'll have to use more ab muscles just to hit the reps when you reach them arms out. Shoulder blades off the ground, tuck your chin, and press your tounge behind your top teeth because it helps to keep your neck stabilized and aligned seeing that these types of crunches also work your neck as well

MWinn

Pro
Daps

Are you constipated?

Daps
if you wanna build your core just lift heavy weights. deadlifts, squats, bench press, barbell rows etc.

Never understood why people waste their time doing stupid exercises like sit ups which are uncomfortable as hell and are not really that effective at strengthening your core.

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
Another thing that will help with your sit ups is to work out your lower back. Use a hyper extension bench if your gym has one

FM-G3007_large.jpg

Look on YouTube how to use it. I do 3 sets of 10 hugging a 25lb weight on back day. Used to do it with a 45 but I'm not as strong right now. Or you could try standing Good Mornings but I've never done that exercise.

semtex

:)
Daps
If you aren't seasoned in the fitness game then there's no point in including isolation movements of any sort in your training

semtex

:)
Daps
I don't disagree. I'm trying to determine what "seasoned" should be defined as.
good question. I don't think it's necessarily a matter of time, but where you are in your core lifts like deadlift squat bench OHP

Izanami

Superstar
Daps
Planks help, I suffer from this as well

Coconut water and bananas help

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Planks help, I suffer from this as well

Coconut water and bananas help

you need to stretch out your ab muscles. an easy way to do this is to lay on a fitness ball and thoroughly stretch it out, or you can use a roller. once you do this you'll be fine.