"Ethnic hair", "ethnic clothes shops", "ethnic salons", "ethnic foodshops"

IrishBrother

Bubblin' in Dublin
Daps
Okey, maybe I'm making too much of a big deal of this but I'd really appreciate an outsiders opinion.

Myself and my wife are both originally from West Africa. We now live in a predominantly and historically white country.

We recently moved to a smaller "city" from the capital city with our seven month old daughter. I say city - the population of the "city" and surrounding area is 100k. Pretty multicultural, but outside of the main hub it's whiter than casper the ghost snorting coke and eating mayonnaise sandwiches.

We live about five miles from the city. Pretty rural, but a beautiful house, a bit of land, we've been promised a school place in a really decent school close by and clean country air. I can work from anywhere and my wife was able to get a transfer. Same wage - cheaper area and she has income from a property she invested in. A good place to bring up a kid. We are looking pretty good at the moment.

But.....

In Dublin, where we previously lived, there were plenty of African shops, barbers, hairdressers, salons, businesses. We never referred to them as "ethnic shops/barbers/hairdressers/salons/businesses".

Now my wife is. I need to find a good "ethnic" store so I can get some xxxxx. I need to find a good "ethnic" hairdressers. I need to find a new "ethnic" salon.

Tonight she said our daughter had a really cute "ethnic" nose.

WTF. Every fúcker on this planet is some sort of ethnicity. Just because we are different than the majority of other people in this country, does not mean that we should other ourselves. We are African. Not "ethnic". We have a name, a history, a rich culture and ancestry. We may not be white, but we are not simply "ethnic". Whatever the fukk that means.

A-F-R-I-C-A-N.

I want our daughter to grow up and become a proud Irish woman. But to also appreciate and respect the fact that she's also African too. I want to ensure we bring her home at least once a year. I do not want her African culture and heritage relegated to mere "ethnic" status. I want her to be proud of both. Which I think is possible if we strike a good balance. Not by shovelling it down her throat, but by cooking traditional meals, telling her stories about our home culture, watching Nollywood together as a family, visiting every year and celebrating our cultural traditions.

Am I freaking out over nothing here? I got a bit pissed off over her continuous use of this damn word and hit the bar for a few drinks with mostly native Irish friends. Cant really talk to them about it. I've tried explaining to my wife why it annoys me, but she just doesn't get it. It's not just the damn word. It's that it others us as a people and holds white people up as the norm. I think that could cause problems for our daughter growing up.

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
Your wife is... white?
Nvm. I forgot u mentioned West African at the beginning of the post.

a word is missing after "Now my wife is...."
~*~*~*~

You are not overreacting but you can only do what is in your control. Trust your judgement. Embrace your culture and daughter as something to be proud of and your daughter will love it because you love it.

Idk, why your wife doesnt get it, maybe with time in this country she will.

Last edited:

miranda

Banned
Supporter
Daps
You live in a 99% white area. You daughter is going to grow up wanting to be white. Her 1st crush is going to be a white boy. I'm not sure you've really thought this through.

Ness

Banned
Daps
OP I hate to be the one breakin it to u, but yo old lady is a c00n :wow:

IrishBrother

Bubblin' in Dublin
Daps
I said that it is not a damn ethnic nose it's a cute West African nose. There is nothing better.

IrishBrother

Bubblin' in Dublin
Daps
My daughter is a cutie pie. I am going to give my wife more reassurance. Every man says this, but she is absolutely stunning.

I'm a very lucky man indeed to have her as my wife. I kinda understand that when you're surrounded by a different culture, that you may become to see yourself as different

Melza

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Daps
I'm sorry that's weird. Did you ask why she refers to these things as ethnic. I've only ever heard white people refer to things like that. And yes, make sure you hammer home the point to your child that she is Black or West African or else she'll forever be the "ethnic" token in a group of white people.

Ms.CuriousCat

All Star
Daps
I agree with your wife, I find your way of thinking weird.

You are different.

Especially if you're leaving in a place that is "whiter than casper the ghost snorting coke and eating mayonnaise sandwiches" :laugh:

She wants things that she's used to, that she needs. Granted calling it "ethnic" is kinda weird but you are arguing over semantics, does it matter what she calls it? If she says "West African hair salon" then what about a Jamaican hair salon or an Indian store for spices...she just needs to call it something, you know what she means.

I call it "a salon that does African/Afro hair"....lots of words, "ethnic salon" sounds more efficient.

Since you love your culture, what's wrong with pointing out that that culture is different from all you neighbours, colleagues and friends? Embrace it oh! :thumbsup: Invite them over for ethnic Nigerian food. Your wife is right, which shouldn't come as a surprise since she's a beautiful African woman but just FYI