essential applications for your computer thread

boogers

cats rule, dogs drool
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#catset
i was trying to brainstorm some ideas for a good technology thread, and i thought this might be a good one.

what are some ESSENTIAL programs? as in, what are the programs you immediately install on a fresh OS?

i'll start off, and do one per post so it doesn't get too long.

Volume2 for Windows - github
this is probably my most used lil app... it's a replacement volume control for Windows. tons of crazy features. my favorites are the customizable OSD (you can see mine in the pic below), and the ability to create custom hotkeys for controlling the volume. I use an old IBM Model M keyboard, and they didnt have volume keys back in the clacky key days, so if i move my mouse over the taskbar and scroll up, the volume goes up. scroll down, volume goes down. etc. dope program and its free.

screenie.png

boogers

cats rule, dogs drool
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#catset
DeskPins for Windows

this is another lil app i just love. it sits in your system tray, and gives you the ability to create "floating" windows, eg, you can "pin" a window to make it stay on top of all the other windows. it supports hotkeys too. for example, if i want to pin a window, i can click the icon in the system tray and select 'pin', or i can press Ctrl+F12 to do so.

its also free as well.

deskpins-1.png

boogers

cats rule, dogs drool
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#catset
X-Mouse Button Control for Windows

this program is just nuts. it can make your mouse do damn near anything short of make you a cup of coffee... i discovered it because i got a trackball mouse. i love the thing to death, but there was no scroll wheel on it. with X-Mouse i configured it so that if i hold down the right mouse button for half a second or longer, it translates any wheel movement as a scroll wheel. so i can scroll horizontally and vertically while holding the right button. its dope.

and its free

Capture.png

boogers

cats rule, dogs drool
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#catset
anyways thats what i got for now. i could write a damn book on it but i dont wanna keep bumping my own thread. ya'll feel free to add more.. id love to find new apps like this.

:salute:

xiceman191

Superstar
Daps
Appreciate this man just got a new pc a week ago so this is perfect timing. I'll add one which would be VLC Media Player.