Empire of Light | Starring Olivia Colman, Michael Ward | (Dir. by Sam Mendes, Shot by Roger Deakins) 12.09.22

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
7dlwvxjfsnj91.jpg

The 1980s-set English romance drama set in and around a movie theater stars Olivia Colman with Toby Jones and Colin Firth.

The film reunites Mendes with his Oscar-winning “1917” DP Roger Deakins, who also shot his films “Skyfall,” “Revolutionary Road,” and “Jarhead”.

Found out Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross had replaced Thomas Newman on the composition. Bittersweet.

Last edited:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
20 years into his accomplished directing career, Mendes decides to be a writer as well and the moment doesn’t go as well as he thought it would. This film had all the makings to be ate up during awards season, especially on the technical front, but the story in how it’s written boggles everything else down and it’s tough to see it standing on its own with the rest of the Oscar frontrunners.

I came into this one thinking it was a strict love letter to cinema when that’s actually not the story’s true focus. Spielberg’s latest project would be the better choice for that, and a much more fulfilling watch. This was more of a look into mental illness and two very different people who cross paths.

Definitely not Colman’s best performance, but it wasn’t outright bad either. She’s still one of the best working actresses today. Saw someone who tried to make the best with what she got in the script, and the same goes for the rest of the cast.

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I thought it was a dope film. I liked the setting and period. Toby Jones kills all his roles