Elden Ring (PS4,XB1,PC,PS5,XSX) (February 25th, 2022)

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
decided to start a new game from scratch as a way to pass the time until the DLC.

chose a vagabond accidentally. but now i think i might just lean into a strength/arcane build (my first run focused on holy weapons). found the sacred zweihander and that motherfukker... :damn: . sword literally sends some enemies flying around the room. and if they're still standing once you connect, most can't do shyt except take more punishment (as long as you've got the stamina to keep swinging). even against a speedy boss like leonine.

morgot, you're up next. :demonic:

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i completely forgot how much simple things like overall weight matter in this game. especially coming off of lies of p, where i feel like the game eventually helps you offset heavier weights, allowing you to focus on preferred builds.

i couldn't beat morgot for shyt, even when i had all his moves figured out. i knew everything he was doing, but i couldn't get out of the way quick enough. i wasn't hitting him hard enough to trade shots with him either.

then i realized my dodges were slow and making the clunky sound. :ohhh: my holy build from the previous runs was normally super weight efficient, so i never really had to worry about maxing out and moving slowly.

carrying a colossal greatsword is a little different, apparently. :snoop:

took off my helmet and removed all weapons except for a shield and the zweihander. suddenly morgot was moving slow and my rolls were so fast that i had to adjust my dodges in order to stay close to him. shyt was SO much easier. and now i didn't have to be perfect to roll away from multiple attacks in row. i knew when he was at half health there was no way he in hell he could beat me.

crazy how tweaks and edits to your character build can make such a massive difference. i also get why strength builds usually have barbarian-style fits now, too.. they're prioritizing strength and speed. :ohhh:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
i completely forgot how much simple things like overall weight matter in this game. especially coming off of lies of p, where i feel like the game eventually helps you offset heavier weights, allowing you to focus on preferred builds.

i couldn't beat morgot for shyt, even when i had all his moves figured out. i knew everything he was doing, but i couldn't get out of the way quick enough. i wasn't hitting him hard enough to trade shots with him either.

then i realized my dodges were slow and making the clunky sound. :ohhh: my holy build from the previous runs was normally super weight efficient, so i never really had to worry about maxing out and moving slowly.

took off my helmet and removed all weapons except for a shield and the zweihander. suddenly morgot was moving slow and my rolls were so fast that i had to adjust my dodges in order to stay close to him. shyt was SO much easier. and now i didn't have to be perfect to roll away from multiple attacks in row. i knew when he was at half health there was no way he in hell he could beat me.

crazy how tweaks and edits to your character build can make such a massive difference. i also get why strength builds usually have barbarian-style fits now, too.. they're prioritizing strength and speed. :ohhh:

I'm gonna assume you never played the previous Souls games, because the weight system is basically the same.

Fred.

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm gonna assume you never played the previous Souls games, because the weight system is basically the same.

Fred.

i'm def familiar with the weight system (sekiro is in my top 5 favorite games of all-time, and bloodborne + d3 are personal faves). i think a few things are just throwing me off:
  • i forgot how much souls games in particular punish you for weight. not even just overweight, but being in the "heavy load" range feels completely different from "medium". also forgot all the ways you can balance your build out to account for weapons/armor/playstyle. i'm blaming lies of p (i new game+'d that one three times to get all the endings). the weight system there is waaaaaaaaaay more forgiving.
  • the first time i played elden ring, i used one of those youtube rune farm videos and prioritized leveling fast af + grabbing an op weapon quickly (winged scythe). so i was able to carry a lot of weight early in the game. in hindsight i spent more time going to lunella to adjust my playstyle (for weapons i wanted to try) then i did worrying about making my build/weight work. my level was so high i could basically tweak my stats and play how i wanted.
  • for this playthrough, i'm trying to go through the whole game without help. no ash summoning. no quick-steps. i always felt the first time i played the game i over-relied on summonings and long-range spellcasting. to the point where i never felt like i was NICE at the game, unlike sekiro where i can beat everything the game offers on the hardest settings.
so far in this run i haven't relied on anything besides physical attacks. the wins feel completely different.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ

In my NG+ build I use talismans and smart stat speccing to just barely have enough carry capacity to equip a katana & pulley bow for the right hand, and shield, Faith seal and wakizashi in the left hand while still keeping the overall weight LIGHT.

Options for every scenario along with lightweight dodging, the ultimate samurai :wow:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
i'm def familiar with the weight system (sekiro is in my top 5 favorite games of all-time, and bloodborne + d3 are personal faves). i think a few things are just throwing me off:
  • i forgot how much souls games in particular punish you for weight. not even just overweight, but being in the "heavy load" range feels completely different from "medium". also forgot all the ways you can balance your build out to account for weapons/armor/playstyle. i'm blaming lies of p (i new game+'d that one three times to get all the endings). the weight system there is waaaaaaaaaay more forgiving.
  • the first time i played elden ring, i used one of those youtube rune farm videos and prioritized leveling fast af + grabbing an op weapon quickly (winged scythe). so i was able to carry a lot of weight early in the game. in hindsight i spent more time going to lunella to adjust my playstyle (for weapons i wanted to try) then i did worrying about making my build/weight work. my level was so high i could basically tweak my stats and play how i wanted.
  • for this playthrough, i'm trying to go through the whole game without help. no ash summoning. no quick-steps. i always felt the first time i played the game i over-relied on summonings and long-range spellcasting. to the point where i never felt like i was NICE at the game, unlike sekiro where i can beat everything the game offers on the hardest settings.
so far in this run i haven't relied on anything besides physical attacks. the wins feel completely different.

"Lies Of P" had no poise system which is why it was more forgiving with weight. At least in Souls games if you're on the heavier side the benefit is tanking through hits so you can trade damage.

In "Lies Of P" you could be swinging a weapon the size of a minivan door and any size enemy will knock you back. It's goofy. I like the game, and I beat it, but it was silly. "Dark Souls 3" had similar (but far less egregious) issues with poise as well.

I think "Elden Ring" is probably the best version of the system.

Fred.

Clark Wayne

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
FL
On my 2nd playthrough with STR/FTH and Blasphemous Blade is crazy like people said.

• Dap

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
On my 2nd playthrough with STR/FTH and Blasphemous Blade is crazy like people said.

Dual wield with the Sword Of Milos (it gives you back FP each kill) and you'll be able to spam Taker's Flame more.

i wonder what they mean by this whole “sekiro leveling system” for the dlc. :francis:

Most likely a version of that system. Kill a boss, decide how it makes you stronger.

Fred.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Dual wield with the Sword Of Milos (it gives you back FP each kill) and you'll be able to spam Taker's Flame more.

Most likely a version of that system. Kill a boss, decide how it makes you stronger.

Fred.

Miyazaki trying to nerf my god-tier BB build :pacspit:

• Haha

downtheline

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in the DMV
On the map to the left of the gates there's like a island/cluster thing. Go towards that in the map through the water and you'll see a sleeping dragon. Sneak behind the dragon to grab the key

All Ima say is good luck using that glintstone shyt in a couple parts of the dungeon. Things tend to get real tight in some areas:mjgrin:
Those big headed dudes with the books are infuriating :mjcry:

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
officially nice again. time for a heat check with godfrey's bytch ass.

also... just realized nepheli is from the same bloodline as horah lux.

did godfrey get banished for having a seed with his sidepiece? :ohhh:

downtheline

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in the DMV
The Godskin Apostle in the Caelid Tower is no joke. The one in the Windmill Village is like 10x easier. I have to go back every now and then to try and beat this dude. Even the monk out front is kicking my ass