Elbow pain on bench press

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Last few times I've benched I've felt a numb sort of pain in my left elbow. After I stop benching it sort of spreads and I feel numbness from my shoulder to my forearm. It's not enough pain that it stops me from doing anything, but I for sure notice it :damn:

Any ideas, brehs :lupe:

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Last few times I've benched I've felt a numb sort of pain in my left elbow. After I stop benching it sort of spreads and I feel numbness from my shoulder to my forearm. It's not enough pain that it stops me from doing anything, but I for sure notice it :damn:

Any ideas, brehs :lupe:
if you are feeling pain like that you should stop right away.
Check your form, it could be off.

But really it could just be something like tennis elbow/golf elbow(tendonitis). I remember I would just ignore the pain and muscle through, but it got so bad i couldn't even pick up the dumbells anymore.

That shyt took FOREVER to heal, like 6-7 months....without any lifting. That killed me.

-G$-

...fresh outta fux...
Supporter
Daps
Flared. I just got back from a light workout and realized its more in my tricep.
flaring your elbows typically creates an impingement in your shoulder joint. the ball of your humerus rotates in your shoulder joint/rotator cuff area on the decent and ascent of the bar/weight and when you flare you are likely pinching/rubbing or otherwise inflaming a tendon that connects to the muscles in your arms. i destroyed my shoulder w poor bench press form and ended up needing it scoped. i also had to completely relearn how to bench. i lift much less weight now but w much better form and i'm perfectly ok w that. youtube is blocked here otherwise i would post a good vid re bench form.

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
flaring your elbows typically creates an impingement in your shoulder joint. the ball of your humerus rotates in your shoulder joint/rotator cuff area on the decent and ascent of the bar/weight and when you flare you are likely pinching/rubbing or otherwise inflaming a tendon that connects to the muscles in your arms. i destroyed my shoulder w poor bench press form and ended up needing it scoped. i also had to completely relearn how to bench. i lift much less weight now but w much better form and i'm perfectly ok w that. youtube is blocked here otherwise i would post a good vid re bench form.

Thanks, I'll look for some videos. Can't really imagine benching any other way than what I do to be honest.

-G$-

...fresh outta fux...
Supporter
Daps
Thanks, I'll look for some videos. Can't really imagine benching any other way than what I do to be honest.
a few tips i can give you w/out visuals:

-retract your scapula as you set under the bar, this opens your shoulder joints
-grip slightly wider than shoulder distance, wider grip can work but you'll def flare more that way
-torque the bar, focus on almost trying to bend the bar w your grip, this helps w tucking your elbows on the descent
-when you bring the bar down make sure your elbows are not moving out wider than your grip on every rep
-keep your back retracted and focus on pushing through your chest and not your arms as you move the bar up

sorry the visual way is def easier than trying to explain in writing

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
I couldn't even fathom this before I picked up the bar to do my curls yesterday. Tennis elbow fukked me as well.

ThatTruth777

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i had some issues with my shoulder and had to wait for it to chill out and relearn how to bench as well

some things i read though were to keep elbows tucked and stop at about 3 or 4 inches from your chest and hold the weight static for a period of time for added difficulty - just the things that popped out to me and remember

AFRAM GLORY

Superstar
Daps
Are you doing overhead triceps extensions, pushups, close grip presses, chest and tricep dips on top of bench presses? If so it might be time to let them go till the sprains heal.

You can still work your chest with incline/flat/decline flyes

Last edited: