EA Looking into in-game Advertisements (God help us all)

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos

A is Looking Into In-Game Ads to Boost Revenues and Reach New Audiences​

EA is Betting on In-Game Ads to Boost Revenues and Reach New Audiences 3

During their latest earnings call, Electronic Arts revealed plans to significantly expand the use of in-game advertising across its wide library of AAA games. It’s part of its attempt to diversify its revenue streams beyond traditional game sales and microtransactions.
Here’s what EA’s CEO, Andrew Wilson, had to say about the potential of integrating ads in AAA games:
Our go-forward strategy is anchored in building a platform that enables us to deepen our connection with players, lead the future of immersion by bringing the real world of sport and our experiences closer together and expanding the tools, modalities and partnerships to drive enhanced socialization, self-expression and creation for sports fans. We’ve engaged with partners like Nike, Pepsi, Uber Eats and Beats over the last year and will continue to do so, integrating them into match day experiences and providing them with a platform to deeply connect with our global audience. We are also building to unlock new multifaceted sponsorship and advertising opportunities.
Integrating ads in video games isn’t new. But, it’s a risky move to do it in the AAA video game space. Today’s titles are already selling for $70. If implemented, this decision would be met with controversy, especially coming from EA.
However, if successful, EA stands to profit with its potential in-game advertising revenue exploding exponentially.
EA is Betting on In-Game Ads to Boost Revenues and Reach New Audiences

:why: Yeahhh welcome to dystopia

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Doesn’t bother me. Real life has advertisments. Every park bench , billboard etc. putting that into games adds to the realism. Fake products is more immersion breaking. Dr cayenne soda or some shyt. Plus its better than in game transactions

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Doesn’t bother me. Real life has advertisments. Every park bench , billboard etc. putting that into games adds to the realism. Fake products is more immersion breaking. Dr cayenne soda or some shyt. Plus its better than in game transactions

I mean....it really depends. Sports games easily, the immersion is real. Like if I'm playing FC 24 and see a random ticker, jingle, or ad pop up during a replay, I'm not going to be panty wedged up about it.

Now regular games like Mass Effect and em :camby:

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
You know damn well they’re not going to pull back on in game transactions and in fact double down on them.

It’s always amazing what gamers are willing to except instead of pushing back before it’s too late.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I mean....it really depends. Sports games easily, the immersion is real. Like if I'm playing FC 24 and see a random ticker, jingle, or ad pop up during a replay, I'm not going to be panty wedged up about it.

Now regular games like Mass Effect and em :camby:
Yeah a fantasy game it would bother me. Sports games it adds to the immersion

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
What a lot of people are missing is the strong likelihood that this means always-online requirements are in the pipeline along with the ads. Product placement is an old thing in sports, so inserting them into sports games is an easy layup...but dynamically streaming ads into games is where the premium ad money lies. Especially targeted ads based on cross-referenced data profiles.

Fck all that.

TDT

All Star
Daps
They also planning to use generative AI in their games :camby:

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I don't like it, but I can live with it as long and it's in the background and doesn't interfere with the game.

But if they start having commercial breaks or something :camby: at that point they lose me