Dwarf Fortress Steam Edition (December 6, 2022)

Daps
:picard:shyt looks scary and this is coming from somebody that's a big Rimworld head. I know this game was suppose to be the blueprint but :whoa:

I haven't played Rimworld but I played the original version of this years ago and got addicted to it. I had to use a wiki to learn how to play. This version is supposed to be easier to learn so I'll cop soon.

Cheesy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Hometown
I been looking at this for years but the lack of graphics put me off. Now that that's fixed and I finally can see what's going on in screenshots and such I might cop soon :patrice:
I never played Rimworld either though, is that a more polished version of this?

Windows 91

Unreleased Operating System
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
C:\
Anyone try it yet? I think I'm going to buy it. I've always wanted to play this but the ASCII graphics in the original game kept me away.

Cheesy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Hometown
Anyone try it yet? I think I'm going to buy it. I've always wanted to play this but the ASCII graphics in the original game kept me away.
I bought it and after watching a few youtube vids while messing about I got some grasp on the basics. Gonna burn a lot of hours on this

Windows 91

Unreleased Operating System
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
C:\
I bought it and after watching a few youtube vids while messing about I got some grasp on the basics. Gonna burn a lot of hours on this
Has the learning curve been tough? I never played RimWorld but I've played Factorio, Prison Architect, and Oxygen Not Included and they seem similar. I guess I'll just buy it and find out.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
I feel like if I start this game. I'll go down a rabbit hole I can't get out of lime when I downloaded Civ VI on the Switch :snoop:

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
Never played Fortress mode, only Adventure mode with tile packs. Will get the game once they add Adventure mode.

Cheesy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Hometown
Has the learning curve been tough? I never played RimWorld but I've played Factorio, Prison Architect, and Oxygen Not Included and they seem similar. I guess I'll just buy it and find out.
I only played Prison Architect out of the ones you named. I played the tutorial first, sought out some articles about how to begin, and then watched this while playing

This and the follow up video was essential in getting my food/booze production up. After that I was mostly fukking around and googling whenever I didn't get it. I start a new fort every time to incorporate what I learned from the last one.
I feel like with some guidance the curve ain't too steep, but I haven't got into the deeper systems yet, with a bigger population and a bigger economy, let alone dealing with enemies.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
This game is so overwhelming.

Breh...I remember playing a game that was close to Dwarf Fortress:

shyt was pain.

All I know I had my Gnomes do a simple task of digging through stone and all of them died out of nowhere :damn: . At least Rimworld gives me a story or some shyt. That game just feels like you got to go to college and get a Master’s degree in patience.

Daps

After 16 years of freeware, Dwarf Fortress creators get their $7M payday​

"When we pass from this world, you will be the reason we are remembered."​

Kevin Purdy - Feb 2, 2023 9:08 pm UTC

Screen from Dwarf Fortress Steam release

Enlarge / The quirky work of two brothers' lives has found a wider audience on Steam and Itchi.io, and now they have some breathing room.
Bay 12 Games

The month before Dwarf Fortress was released on Steam (and Itch.io), the brothers Zach and Tarn Adams made $15,635 in revenue, mostly from donations for their 16-year freeware project. The month after the game's commercial debut, they made $7,230,123, or 462 times that amount.
"The fairytale ending is reality, but you didn't kiss the toad," Zach Adams wrote on Bay 12 Games' forums. "You gave him money." He went on to write the kind of grateful response to fans you don't often see from game developers:
The appreciation you give us is part of our being now. It carries us in the cars we drive. It sustains us as the food that we eat. There is now no longer any existence except the one that you have provided. When we pass from this world, you will be the reason we are remembered.
Tarn Adams noted that "a little less than half will go to taxes," and that other people and expenses must be paid. But enough of it will reach the brothers themselves that "we've solved the main issues of health/retirement that are troubling for independent people." It also means that Putnam, a longtime modder and scripter and community member, can continue their work on the Dwarf Fortress code base, having been hired in December.

The "issues of health/retirement" became very real to the brothers in 2019 when Zach had to seek treatment for skin cancer. The $10,000 cost, mostly covered through his wife's employer-provided insurance, made them realize the need for more robust sustainability. "You're not just going to run GoFundMes until you can't and then die when you're 50," Tarn told The Guardian in late 2022. "That is not cool." This realization pushed them toward a (relatively) more accessible commercial release with traditional graphics, music, and tutorials.
As of today, Dwarf Fortress' Steam page summarizes the game's more than 17,000 reviews as "Overwhelmingly Positive." "I am speechless to people around me between game sessions," wrote jozef.sova. "Had my Chief Militia Commander tackle a Giant Cyclops over a waterfall ravine 10 stories killing it at the bottom," wrote DEV. "Guy couldn't get out and he drowned, may he never be forgotten."
While the commercial release of Dwarf Fortress has earned the brothers some breathing room and introduced new players with some quality-of-life offerings, the "classic" version—the one Ars editor Casey Johnston detailed over her 10-hour ordeal—is still free to download.